Chapter 15

Fuck. Fuck. Before Toni could think of what to do about Shelby standing outside her window, another fist came flying towards her. She blocked it, not wanting Shelby to see her get beaten up.

  She searched desperately for a way to make this like something other than it was.

  Throwing Carol's fist to the side, Toni, with all her force, shoved Carol away by her shoulders. The older woman toppled to the floor. Shit, that was a mistake. At the very least it might help the Shelby situation, but as for Carol? She had royally fucked up.

  "You fucking-" Carol growled before calming down and standing up, unsteady on her feet. "Enjoy the group home." With that she turned around and stumbled to the lounge.

  Toni didn't bother begging for her place in the house or apologies or anything. All she could think was that Shelby had witnessed the whole thing. Toni racked her brain for a way to fix this. Luckily it wasn't too bad, and her fighting back could have just made it look like a harmless fight. Or at least, that was the plan.

  She ran out of the house again, and sprinted in the direction of Shelby. The other girl was still in the same place outside the window, shellshocked.

  "Shelby," Toni murmured cautiously, slowly approaching her as if she was trying to capture a frightened dog.

  Shelby didn't move. her facial expression barely changed. There were a few moments of tense silence before Shelby said anything. "You- your face, your ribs, the party... Was this it? Your mom beats you?"

  Toni felt a sudden strong, unjustifiable urge to defend her mom. "No. Never. It's my foster mom and it's none of your business. we just got in a fight. You saw, I hit her back."

  "Toni she punched you in the face! You shoved her. You need to tell someone."

  Rage bubbled up, why couldn't everyone just mind their own business and accept that she knows what she's doing? To her embarrassment and further anger, tears sprung to her eyes and flowed down her cheeks without warning. "Piss off Shelby-" Her voice cracked as she raised her voice. "You have no idea what you've done."

  "I didn't mean-"

  "Let me finish. I have nothing now; and that's your fault." Toni turned away, not wanting Shelby to see how broken she was, how little she believed the words she was saying. She lost herself in her head, not realising her tormented mutters of, "It's your fault." Had turned into, "It's my fault."

  Hands touched her back, but she didn't jump, or react at all. Her fight and flight instincts were gone, not worth kicking in because even when they did, she got hurt. "What are you even doing here?" She wept, "And don't give me any of those roundabout bullshit answers now. Just fucking tell me."

  "Andrew broke up with me. He kicked me out of his house because he got tired of waiting." Shelby whispered the last part, letting Toni know exactly what she was talking about. She grabbed Toni's shoulders and spun her around to face her. "I came here because I was drunk, upset and you were on my mind. I'm sorry I kissed you it was totally inappropriate. I'm not even- I'm not like that."

  "Okay, Shelby," Toni said shortly, disappointed. She shrunk out of Shelby's grip and walked back a few paces. She wiped blood off her freshly split lip, surprised to feel a handful of other injuries on her cheek. Carol must have been wearing rings. In a threatening tone she warned, "Don't tell anyone. You don't know the full situation and it is none of your business."

  She started to walk away but Shelby shouted after her, "I'm sorry, but I'm calling child services. No one should live like this. Not even you."

  Toni sobbed, part out of anger, part sadness and part pain. She stormed over to Shelby and snarled, voice wavering, "And I'll tell your parents, the church, the Jesus club and anyone who cares that you kissed me."