Chapter 23

AN: Thanks for reading guys!

Same usual trigger warnings, Abuse in this chapter.

--------

  Toni woke up at 6:00, then 6:30 then 7:00 which is when she just decided to give in and get up. She didn't know if she was nervous or excited but every time she thought about meeting Shelby today her heart jumped a bit in her chest. She sat up with a yawn and looked for her phone which she found at the foot of the bed. She opened a message from Shelby that was sent last night.

Shelby: Can't wait :)

  The message was followed by a google maps location which Toni recognised to be one of her favourite cafe's. Toni decided to get ready early and leave the house before Carol had the chance to get up and tell her that she couldn't go.

  Grabbing her towel, she made her way to the shower. There had been a few times in the past where Toni had showered in the morning and the noise woke Carol which is why Toni usually showered at night; but she didn't want to meet Shelby smelling like sweat and cigarettes. She tiptoed down the hall, wincing every time a floorboard creaked or when she had to peel her foot away from a puddle of half-dry liquor.

  She locked herself in the bathroom and stood, heart racing, looking at the shower knob, contemplating just turning around and using deodorant and dry shampoo. Before she could talk herself out of it she reached out rapidly and turned the handle, cringing as the pipes chugged and water flowed into the tub. She took a deep breath, it was done now, she would face whatever possible consequences came once she was clean.

  Toni took a long shower, relaxing under the hot water. The bruises and cuts from the past month had all faded, her body now only marred by the scars of the past. She hated seeing all her scars. They looked innocent, like they were from kindergarten injuries or drunken mishaps, but Toni could recite the story for every one of them and hardy any of them brought a reminiscing a smile to her face. Her shower felt a little less luxurious after that reminder so she quickly finished up and got dressed, happy to be covered again.

  Slowly opening the bathroom door she stuck her head out a peeked from side to side. The house was dead quiet. With a sigh of relief she stepped out and padded to kitchen area.

  The house was an absolute state.

  It was somehow worse than usual. There was broken glass all over the floor, a few puddles of what looked like sick dotted around the lounge, and there was not one surface in the kitchen or lounge that wasn't covered in dishes, magazines and other crap.

  Toni had to breathe through her mouth to avoid the smell. As she was taking in the mess something caught her attention. Something she had never seen in the house before. There were a bunch of photographs strewn across the floor. Not the usual photos of Carol in her younger, more beautiful years like the ones that were framed around the house, but old photos of children. Black and white images of people she had never seen before.

  She bent down to get a better look and picked one up that showed what looked like the typical nuclear family. The man, Toni presumed he was the dad, had a young girl sitting on his shoulders; a younger boy had his arms wrapped around his mother's legs who was holding her husband's hand. They were all laughing, none of them looking at the camera, just each other. It was beautiful. The steel cord of jealousy began to wrap its way around Toni's heart but she forced herself to let it go. If this was Carol's family then she knew there was more to the story that just this photo.

  "Don't touch my fucking stuff."

  Toni flinched harshly, nearly dropping the photo as Carol's voice boomed through the house. Before she could put the photo back where she found it Carol was storming over, her face contorted in rage.