Chapter 16

A shill noise that sounded like it was emitted from a 1950's alarm clock woke Toni. When she opened her eyes it was pitch black outside. "What the hell was that?"

  "My alarm clock" Shelby answered, sounding distressing alert for the morning.

  Toni moaned and ducked her head under the covers once again, "Why can't you just use your phone like a normal person. You could wake to the sound of whale song if you wanted; a world of opportunity and you choose that?"

  "It wakes me up properly. Isn't whale song used to put people to sleep?"

  She was so tired. "Did we even go to sleep?"

  There was a ruffling of sheets and Shelby's feet appeared in front of Toni's face. "Yep! For two hours."

  That woke Toni up. She sat up. "You're saying it is 6 in the morning? Why? Why do you want to be awake right now?"

  Toni was beyond disturbed. This was not a time of the morning that she ever wanted to see if she could help it.

  "Go back to sleep if you want."

  It was a good suggestion. And Toni tried. But for half an hour there was the shower in the ensuite, the clamouring of draws, the slamming of doors and then the hairdryer, which was the last straw. Toni rose with a frustrated groan slash yawn combination.

  "Hey Shelby?" Toni called out, drawing the attention of the girl when there was a momentary silence from the hairdryer.

  "Oh, sleeping beauty's risen. Good morning."

  "Shelby it is literally 6:30 in the morning, I'm not sure that applies," Toni laughed to herself softly. "But I'll take the compliment."

  Shelby's head swung around to face Toni. "What compliment?"

  Toni just cocked an eyebrow in response and waited for the other girl to work it out herself.

  "Oh!" Shelby laughed halfheartedly, "You're welcome I guess. You are beautifu- I mean, Your face is symmetrical- Like, your features..." She trailed off and rapidly changed the subject, "The shower is easy to work, don't use all of the hot water."

  Toni chuckled as she stood and put on a Texan accent mocking Shelby, "But then how am I going to complete my 6 step beauty regime. You don't get facial symmetry from no work at all."

  "Hilarious," Shelby deadpanned, but Toni could see her holding back a smile.

  Toni considered asking Shelby for clothes but she had only changed into these at 2 in the morning so they were hardly dirty and no one other than Shelby would know that she had worn them overnight. She also highly doubted that Shelby would let another girl publicly wear her clothes. It was obviously a sensitive issue.

  When Toni turned off the shower she heard voices coming from Shelby's bedroom. She dried herself off and listened for a moment to see what Shelby was going to say about the situation.

  "-A bed on the floor? And who's in the shower?" That was definitely Shelby's dad.

  Shelby stuttered slightly before answering, "I'm so sorry daddy," Daddy? Toni shuddered at the nickname. "-It's Becca. She got in a fight with her parents and needed somewhere to stay. She is super upset and doesn't want anyone to know-"

  "Say no more," her dad interrupted, "take her out the back door, no one will bother her that way." Toni breathed a sigh of relief. "But Shelbs." That didn't sound good

  "Yeah?"

  "I don't like you hanging around with that girl. Between you and me, her parents confided in me about her being tempted by the homosexual lifestyle. Now I have spoken to her parents and I've agreed to help her but, as you know, this mindset can be somewhat transferrable. I've seen it happen before." There was a moment of silence and Toni wondered if he had left but then he carried on, "Just promise me you won't let yourself be tempted by such things. It is not the Lord's way."