thirty. goodbye

Mateo was starting to walk, it surpised Eviana to see her son walk since she expected him to walk before his first birthday

Mateo was starting to walk, it surpised Eviana to see her son walk since she expected him to walk before his first birthday. Each day he was getting bigger and all his mom could do was wish that he could stay little forever. In the months without any sighting of Pablo, Eviana could finally leave the house. Pacho never knew about her meet up with Steve. Mateo was also able to see the city. Of course with more sicarios guarding them.

Each day passed by and Mateo grew up. His second birthday came by quick. Steve wasn't present for that one, but he called Eviana and even heard Mateo's giggles through the phone. Eviana promised to take many pictures so she could show him whenever they would see each other again.

"Aw look at the birthday boy!" Chepe put a paper birthday hat on Mateo. The now two year old boy laughed when he saw his uncle Chepe and ran around Chepe's legs almost tripping him.

The backyard party was just starting and Mateo was having the time of his life. His uncles brought him many presents and money, although Eviana told them that having them together was good enough for her and Mateo.

Pacho watched Mateo slide down his little playground set that he bought him. Mateo landed on the ground, stood up by himself and ran to the playground steps to slide down again. He had been doing that for the past twenty minutes. The Cali godfather was entertained by his nephew that he didn't notice Alvaro arrive and stand beside him, slapping a hand on his older brother's shoulder.

"Didn't think you would show up." Pacho crossed his arms over his chest.

"Why? He's my family too. Hey, Pacho, I didn't think you would picture me as the awful uncle that doesn't give a shit about the kid. I'm trying to be better. That's why I ended things with Melissa." Alvaro grabbed his lighter and cigarettes from his back pocket then lit one.

"I actually liked her. She kept you in check, fed you. Evi liked her too." Pacho said, keeping his attention on Mateo.

Alvaro followed his brother's gaze. Mateo was still playing, not caring if his brand new clothes were getting dirty. He was a child after all. No worries at all. Alvaro thought about their parents. It was a rare topic, but it found it's way to their conversations once in a while. Eviana avoided it as best as she could. Living with two people who barely loved her was hell and she never wanted to experience it ever again.

Alvaro looked at his brother. "Do you think our parents would've liked Mateo?"

Pacho scoffed, looking down at his shoes then back at Mateo. "They didn't even like us, I doubt it. They don't matter anymore, Alvaro, they're not with us and I'm happy about it. Evi's happy, and you should be too. Mateo has a mom that loves him unconditionally, two uncles that care immensely and a dad that would do anything for him."

Alvaro rolled his eyes when Pacho mentioned Mateo's dad. "Do you really think that son of a bitch cares about his own son. It's like dad all over again. He's not going to show not now not ever."