forty two. betrayed

Helena helped Eviana up to her room, letting her sleep for a few more hours in her comfortable large bed

Helena helped Eviana up to her room, letting her sleep for a few more hours in her comfortable large bed. While Helena fed and changed Mateo, Eviana layed in her bed staring at the ceiling. She still had to tell Pacho about her decision she had made and she knew it wasn't going to be easy. With Gilberto in jail and the other godfathers in hiding, it was almost impossible to do anything.

Eviana figured a call to Corina wouldn't hurt so she grabbed the phone and dialed Corina's house number. After three rings, Corina picked up.

"Hello?"

Eviana smiled when she heard her friend's voice. "Rina, hey, it's been a while."

"Oh my, Evi?! How are you? How's the little guy?" Corina squealed.

"He's fine, walking and talking too much. I'm fine, but how are you? I haven't been a great friend these past months, I'm sorry."

"Evi, it's okay! I know you have a wild life. I'm honestly used to it," said Corina, "the other day I bought this cute sweater for Mateo, it has little dinosaurs on the pockets, it's so cute, I'll deliver it to you when I get done with this shift-"

"Corina! Get off that damn phone! I'm not paying you for nothing!"

"All right! Jesus! I have to go, but I'll call you when I get done. Love you." Corina said before she hung up. Eviana didn't know how Corina still had a job when all she did was yell at her boss and flirt with cute guys that got served by her.

Eviana placed the phone on her nightstand, then went under the covers to finally go to sleep.

🦋

Helena laughed at Mateo as he made random noises when his toys would crash into each other. It was eight  thirty and Mateo, somehow, was still awake even after taking a nice warm bath and eating dinner Helena made him. Eviana was still asleep, although Helena wanted to put Mateo to sleep so she could wake up Eviana.

"Look!" Mateo shoved his red toy car in Helena's face. "Uncle Chepe got it for me!" He missed his uncle Chepe.

"It's very pretty," Helena smiled warmly at the little boy.

Mateo giggled, he then held up a small black car. "Mommy says this one is her favorite."

"Well they're both very pretty, don't you think?" Helena questioned. Mateo nodded, putting both cars on the play mat and rolled them next to each other. Helena looked at the clock, frowning. "I better wake up your mommy. She's going to be mad at me when she sees you playing. You should be asleep!" Helena got up from the play mat and pointed a finger at Mateo, who in return smiled innocently at the older woman.

"Who can be mad at a face like that?" Helena tapped Mateo's nose before walking over to a sicario, telling him to watch over Mateo while she went up to Eviana's room. The sicario nodded and moved closer to the small boy, leaving his gun away from them.

"I'll be back with your mommy, okay?" Helena told Mateo.

Mateo nodded, then went back to playing with his toy cars. Helena walked up the stairs. Eviana's room was almost towards the end of the hall so she didn't get the chance to hear the doorbell ring. The sicario that was taking care of Mateo had to answer the door. He still looked back at Mateo to make sure he didn't wander off as he answered the door.

Once the door opened, the sicario was met with a gun pointed straight at him. The sicario gulped, not knowing what to do. His hand went straight to his belt that he usually had his gun on, but the gun wasn't there.

"Stay calm, brother," the North Valley sicario kept pointing the gun at the Cali sicario. "Where's the woman?"

The Cali sicario shook his head. "She's not here."

"That's a load of bullshit," the North Valley sicario smirked. "I don't think she would be stupid enough to leave her kid with a bunch of scumbags." The North Valley sicario stared at the small boy behind the Cali sicario. Mateo was watching the scene unfold with his toy cars in his arms. "Guess the kid has to go too."

The Cali sicario didn't move fast enough. A bullet went straight to his skull, Mateo still watching. The North Valley sicario pushed the body to the side, opening the door for his friends. Mateo didn't move at all, he didn't know what was happening. All he heard was men shouting. Several more Cali sicarios entered the living room, guns in their hands.

Mateo's toys were dropped onto the ground when he saw more guns. He ran past the Cali men, down the halls and ran into his Uncle Pacho's room. Once he got inside, he quickly locked the door and ran to the closet, closing the door as he did. Pacho had told him about a secret little room her had made for Mateo. He didn't think Mateo would ever use it. It was installed behind Pacho's clothes. Mateo opened the small door and climbed into it and finally closing it. Inside, Mateo curled up into a ball and covered his ears from the loud gunfire that was happening in his house.