forty. the fall of the godfathers

Javi and Trujillo brought Gilberto to the living room where his three wives and sicario were

Javi and Trujillo brought Gilberto to the living room where his three wives and sicario were. He wore handcuffs around his wrist. While Javi led the drug lord to the couch, Van Ness and Feistl smirked at the handcuffed man.
From her seat in a different room, Eviana could hear footsteps approaching.

Javi entered the room. "We got him," he grabbed a chair and moved it so he sat close to her. "How're you feeling?"

Her knee was still bouncing, she glanced at the nearest clock every five minutes and she felt like she was going to throw up. "I'm scared. I don't like it." She said.

"I won't let anything happen to you, Evi, I can promise you that," said Javi, "you know, Murphy asked me about you. I mean before I got the promotion and shit. I talked to him and he asked me about you."

Eviana looked up at Javi and cracked a smile. "Really?"

"Yeah, he did. Even asked about your boy. I told him I didn't know much, but I had a feeling Pacho kept you both very protected." He replied. "He misses you."

Before Eviana had the chance to reply, an officer ran into the house in a hurry.
"Colonel! Calderón took off."

Javi excused himself from Eviana and walked towards the colonel. "Fuck, we move fast." He quickly went back into the room Eviana was in. "I got to go, I won't tell anyone."

Eviana nodded. "Stay safe, Javi."

And with that, the agents took Gilberto out of his house in handcuffs in a hurry. It wouldn't take long before Calderón and his team would stop them. Eviana sighed, then rubbed her tired eyes. She got up from the chair and left the room. She avoided the wives that gave her mean looks and went back to the kitchen. She grabbed the phone from the counter and dialed her house number.

"Hello?" Helena spoke.

"It's me again, I'm sorry I had to leave unexpectedly . . . again. I'm going back home today."

🦋

Eviana was exhausted. The first thing she did when she got back to her house (Pacho's house, but he always told her it belonged to her) was throw herself onto her bed. Mateo was fast asleep when she got back so she didn't want to wake him up. After a quick shower and change of clothes, Eviana wandered into the kitchen where she saw a plate of food Helena had made her along with a note.

For my favorite girl (don't tell my daughter I said that)

I'll be back in the morning
- Helena

Eviana smiled to herself. She loved Helena more than anything. She grabbed the bowl and unfoiled it. The smell of chicken soup filled her nostrils. Ajiaco was a favorite in the Herrera household. Once she got her spoon, Eviana grabbed the remote control to watch TV as she ate her food. As she was switching through channels, she stopped when she saw Javi addressing the press about the capture of Gilberto.

"Today marks an important beginning, an important victory. Because of the success of our Colombian-Amerocam operation . . . the Cali cartel is on the run. And with the continued support of the Colombian National Police . . . I promise you the other three godfathers will fall. Questions?"

Immediately the many people inside the room raised their hands, speaking loudly to get the attention of Javi.

Inside the kitchen, Eviana turned off the TV then went back to her soup. Hearing Javi say the other godfathers will fall was like a punch in the gut. Eviana didn't want to see her brother behind bars for the rest of his life. She never imagined a life without him. She knew eventually he had to leave her, go to prison and pay for his crimes, but she didn't want to see him like that. Eviana witnessed the arrest of Miguel Ángel, she didn't want to go through that again.

Eviana didn't get the chance to finish the chicken soup Helena made her. She placed the soup in the refrigerator then walked outside to the patio. It was a nice night for the moon and the stars. It wasn't too cold or hot. She walked over to a small table that had a lighter and a pack of cigarettes lying on it. She took a cigarette out then lit it. She didn't smoke often like Pacho or drank every weekend like Alvaro, but sometimes she just needed it.

An: javi and evi's convo from the last chapter reminds me of that audio that goes "they're gonna know"

omg wait

javi: nobody's gonna know
evi: they're gonna know *dramatic music plays*
javi: how would they know?