Gryffindor or Slytherin

We had been on the train for about an hour and Lee and the twins had been telling us about their first year.

"I don't like the sound of Professor Snape, I hope I'm not in Slytherin." Said Holly shaking her head.

The twins both laughed while Lee sat forward saying. "Wait until you see these two pull pranks on him. They got him so good last year."

George then explained. "The best one was when we slipped one of those sweets, that make you sound like a different type of animal, into his pumpkin juice during the end of term feast." We all started to hysterically laugh.

"He just sounded like a Dolphin for 20 mins because he kept drinking the pumpkin juice not realising that's what was doing it."

Once we had finally calmed down and stopped laughing Fred turned to me and said. "Maybe you two can join us this year with our pranks?"

"Oh no I couldn't, I'd get us all caught." Replied Holly.

"I'm in." I said.

"Now, now Freddie remember what mum said?" Said George mockingly while crossing his arms and sitting upright.

"Come on, if she wants to have a bit of fun let her"

"I won't tell your mum if you don't." I said while copying George's earlier movements and raising my eyebrow.

He scoffed but then said. "I guess you deserve a little fun after having to live with the Malfoy's."

"Ohh I'm so glad to be finally getting away."

"Yea you never told me why you live with those people Melissa." Holly reminded me.

"Oh yea, u-umm, so my dad is actually in Azkaban." I said with my head down.

"What's Azkaban?" Asked a very confused Holly.

"It's wizard prison." Fred explained not taking his eyes off me.

"I-Is your dad Sirius Black?" Asked Lee with wide eyes.

"Mhmm" I nodded but keeping my head down praying to Merlin that this new information wouldn't change their opinion of me.

"I don't get it is that bad?" Asked Holly.

Fred piped up saying. "Not at all. Just because her father is in prison doesn't make Melissa a bad person."

I looked up at him to see him eyeballing the other two boys and he then looked back down at me giving me a reassuring yet cheesy grin.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, why is he in Azkaban?" Asked Holly

"No, no it's fine, I mean the whole of the wizarding world knows. He was sentenced to life when I was 2 for killing one of his best friends from school, Peter, and in the process he also killed 12 muggles in a massive explosion. He had found out that my dad had told You Know Who where the Potters were hiding which got them killed. James Potter was also one of my dad's best friends from school along with Remus Lupin."

"Okay I have so many questions." Said Holly with a very confusing look.

The rest of us giggled a little because we had forgotten Holly was muggle born and had no idea about you know who and the war. We explained everything to her and she just sat there not saying a word with her eyes wide and mouth open. When we had finished explaining everything she stayed frozen like that for a minuet while the rest of us looked back and forth from one another, waiting for her to speak.

She finally came back to earth "Is it too late for me to go home?" We all burst into laughter once again.

We continued to chat getting to know each other, I was so happy they hadn't changed their minds about me. It had only been about 30 minutes and all of a sudden I could feel myself getting tired so I laid my head on Fred's shoulder and I felt his arm wrap around mine letting me know it was okay to do so.

*

I was being shook awake by someone "FRED! MELISSA!" You two need to get into your robes we're nearly there." I opened my eyes to realise I had slipped down off Fred's Shoulder and was now laying in his lap. Thankfully, he was also asleep. I shot up as quickly as I could grabbed my bag and exited the compartment hoping that Fred hadn't noticed I was laying in his lap.

How embarrassing.

I changed into my robes in the toilet and when I was ready the train was stopping. Instead of going back to the compartment to find everyone I just followed everyone else getting off the train. I felt someone grab my wrist and I turned around to see Holly "Where's the boys?" I asked her.

"They went the other way" she replied.

As we got off the train, we heard a booming voice. "First years this way." We turned around to see a man with wild untamed hair and a bushy beard. "Come on 'hurry up." He was holding a lantern above all the students heads, he had to be at least 8ft tall. He led us first years down to a lake which had a small fleet of 4-person row boats. He instructed us to get into the boats and someone from each boat to hold the lantern while he got into one boat on his own. He took up the whole bench by himself. The boats started to move by themselves, and we sailed across the lake which was as black as the night sky, reflecting the castle we were sailing towards. Everyone was looking up at it in awe. Some were pointing and whispering to each other, some were just staring amazed that this is where we were all going to be living and learning magic.

"Mind your 'ead's." The half giant we had come learn was called Hagrid shouted as we sailed under the castle into a cave where the boats stopped, and we all climbed out on to the rock. "Everyone line up in pairs and follow me."

Hagrid led us up into the castle and stopped us just outside a set of massive double doors. He told us to wait here for Professor McGonagall and he went through the doors closing them again. You could hear, when he opened the doors, that there was a lot of people in there all chatting and having fun with each other. A woman in dark green robes came out of the doors a minute later and stood in front of us.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. In a few moments, the start of term banquet will begin. Before you can take your seats in the great hall you must be sorted into your houses. Your house will be like your family. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Now if you will follow me, please, we will begin the sorting ceremony.

She led us into the great hall and walked us down to the front between the house tables, as we got closer to the front, I could see Fred and George's fiery red hair and as we walked past them they both winked at me and Holly making us giggle.

Professor McGonagall stopped us just before the steps at the front which had a long table of professors looking down at us all. "When I call your name, you will come up and sit on the stool, I will place the hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your house. "Ashe Calvert" A dark haired boy pushed his way from the back and sat down on the stool. The hat barely touched his head before it shouted "Slytherin" and the table to far left erupted cheering for him to come join them.

"Hunter Gilmour" A blonde haired boy who was standing in front of me walked up and was sorted into "Hufflepuff"

"Teri Daly" was the first Ravenclaw girl.

"Mateus Lorimer" was also sorted into Slytherin.

"Melissa Black" the whole room went completely silent as I walked up to the stool. I had never been so nervous in my entire life. My legs were shanking and my palms were starting to sweat. I sat down and McGonagall placed the hat on my head while I prayed for Gryffindor. The hat could hear my thoughts and it spoke into my ear. "Are you sure?" I nodded while looking towards Fred and George. It took a second but the hat finally shouted "GRYFFINDOR!"

The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers and I ran over to sit beside George while a few of the other Gryffindor's high fived me and shook my hand welcoming me. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER

I do not own any of these characters except Melissa, Holly, Ashe, Hunter, Teri and Mateus. The rest belong to J.K Rowling.