5.12 (final) - The Stakes Rise

Night had fallen over the entire island. The town was growing quiet, as the street lamps flickered overhead to light the streets, and windows in houses were lighting up or being turned off so their residents can retire for the night and start a new day.

In the back alley of one of the streets, a small portal had opened up in the dark corners. From the black hole in the portal, a figure emerged. A cloak as blue as the night sky concealed their face and body as they leapt from the space. They scampered over to the corner of one house and looked down the streets in both directions. Left, then right, then left again. They nod silently, and whisper over their shoulder, "The coast is clear. No one's out on the streets." From that, a second body emerges, wearing the same cloak as the first figure. Once they've stood up from the jump, they turned to the portal. Flicking their wrist to the side, the portal grows smaller and smaller until disappearing by itself.

"The entrance is closed off, Sister." The second figure talks to the first person who leapt from the portal. Her voice was light and sweet as she spoke, but with a tone of seriousness laced in at that sentence. She reaches up to the hood and uncovers her head. Bright blonde locks reaching her hips fell like a glossy curtain down her back. A small section of hair was teased, brushed up and back and held down by bobby pins, creating a small bouffant. Her eyes opened; revealing dark blue irises, pupils blown out to adjust to the light. She massages her dainty hands, the skin the color of ivory, and approaches the first figure. "Luna...." the second girl breathed. "Are you sure this was the right decision?"

The first figure turns to face the girl. Taking off their own hood of her cloak to unveil her appearance. Matching skin, but this person had curled silvery hair, the top portion pinned back into a braided bun as the rest fell loosely; her bangs were braided back, swept across her forehead on the right side of her face. She eyes her sister with lilac eyes, which were narrowed in concentration. She spoke in a more mature and serious tone than the other girl, "Soleil, you know as well as I do that these were her mother's orders. We must protect her daughter at all costs!"

"But she isn't a child!" Soleil countered. "She's 17, for Pete's sake! Well, 17 going on 18.....And she's bound to find out her true birthright one way or another!"

"You don't think I know that?!" Luna countered.

"I'll ask again: What if it brings her more harm than good??"

"That's something she will have to decide for herself." Luna frowns sadly. "....Charlotte won't continue to listen to Ophelia. Her trust is starting to fracture, now that Bierce and Malak told her the truth....so we're all that's next to help!"

"....But she may know somethings up!" Sol bit her lip with worry.

"....I know." Luna looks up at one of the street lamps in thought. Speaking aloud, "....We'll only mention that we were sent to guard her on our own whim after what transpired. We'll let Ophelia take some time for herself, and we will train and protect Charlotte in her place. We have promised this when leaving; we're upholding it no matter the cost."

"Good." Sol murmurs, but starts scratching her arms. "I just know how long we can hold these-"

"Wait!" Luna shushes her. Her eyes change to bright blue as she tried to locate Charlie. She stood quiet for a moment, then her head whipped to the side, landing on the castle-shaped building on the plateau by the mountains. "I know where she is!" Luna throws up her hood to hide herself. "Let's hurry!"

Soleil opens her mouth to say something, but after seeing Luna run off without her, she rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Always to the point...this is why you're so stuck up on not changing!" She muttered exasperated, throwing up her cloak's hood and picks up her feet to catch up with Luna.
———————