The Truth Of Hinata

"Can someone finally tell me who this Hinata is?" Kidou asked impatiently tapping his foot in front of me with arms crossed. We had returned back to the park where we were discussing our next game strategies earlier. I was sitting on the bench in the same spot as before, only that Kidou wasn't next to me but rather towering over with an unwavering gaze, and Gouenji was leaning on a tree with arms crossed and eyes closed, giving everyone the message that he wanted no part in this conversation.

        Thanks a lot, Gouenji.

        I slouched down and covered my face with my hands, which were propped up by my elbows on my knees, and made a sound that sounded like a cross between a groan and a sigh. Kidou only continued staring at me without a change in expression. His eyes were starting to drill a hole through my head. Finally, I groaned again and lifted my head. Then I turned to Gouenji, and said, "I don't want to talk about it. You tell him."

        Gouenji opened his eyes and turned his head lazily so that it faced me. "You think I want to be the one that Kidou explodes on when he finds out who Hinata is? No way." Like I said, thanks. I appreciate it, friend.

        Kidou couldn't take it anymore. "Just. Who. Is. Hinata?" he shouted exasperatedly. I gave Gouenji one last hopeful glance, but he had already resumed to his earlier position. I sighed. That leaves me no choice but to tell the truth. I took a deep breath. "She was the girl who had a crush on me back at Kidokawa Seishuu when they thought I was a boy."

        Kidou was speechless. I looked down. Every second that ticked by in silence only added to my anxiety. Even Gouenji was looking at the scene now. Finally, Kidou said slowly, "Oh..." I couldn't tell whether he was angry, shocked, or having any reaction toward the news. There was another awkward silence. "Did you like her back?" Kidou asked softly. I clenched my fist, crumpling the cheap skirt but not caring a shit. "...Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know."

        "They never officially dated, but everyone pretty much thought that they had something going," Gouenji's voice shot in. So now you help, Gouenji. That imput contributes a lot. Not.

        "Oh..." Kidou said slowly again, his voice stiff this time and trailing off at the end. Then he turned quickly and walked away without a goodbye. It was the same stride that Gouenji had used earlier, the type that wants to get away from what just happened as soon as possible, holding in the tears until turning a corner, then burst into a run and finally flop onto the bed and cry when you get home.

        My gaze followed the blue cape until it turned onto the next block. For a second me and Gouenji didn't know what to think of the situation. On one hand, it was a surprise he didn't go ballistic. On the other hand, I had a feeling that I, Sakurai Shizumi, had just made the boy who used to bully me cry. Somehow, that didn't make me feel good though. My clenched fists slowly let go of my skirt.

        "You had better go apologize," Gouenji told me. I scoffed. "Me? You were the one that added salt to the wound," I shot back. Gouenji narrowed his eyes at me warningly. I glared back, daring him to say something. I knew that we both felt the heat of the moment rise. For the first time in forever, we were fighting. Not our usual daily squabble, but a real fight. "At least I wasn't the one who broke his heart," he hissed. Then he stalked off, leaving me sitting there staring after him wondering whether I had made the right choice.

        In one day, I had just lost two of the most important people in my life.

        I don't know how long I sat there frozen in that spot. I had just made the worst mistake in my life. Even the shaming from Aphrodi didn't compare to this. Around sometime later, a fancy black car rolled by. Then it stopped in front of the park and a shoe stepped out. The first think I recognized was the prissy voice though. "Wait for me here. I just need ten minutes," she said in that princess-y air. Then following the shoe was a girl with reddish brown hair wearing a premium version of the Raimon uniform. It was Raimon Natsumi, daughter of the chairman. Why was she here?

        She headed toward me. Was she looking for me? Was I in trouble with the chairman? Perhaps Raimon wanted to kick me off the soccer team? Taking a shaky breath, I tried to make my voice sound as strong as my usual threatening appearance. "Is something the matter?" I asked, my voice wavering halfway in the middle. She smiled at my failure of an act. Then she sat down next to me. There was silence.

        "What did you come here for?" I finally broke the silence. "I was going back to the school to do some investigation for papa until I saw you sitting here looking sad. What happened?" she asked. I was surprised at how kind her voice sounded with genuin concern. I always thought she was the snotty valley girl type who would flounce around with other annoying people like Aki, the green haired manager who I hate and hates me back.

        "Nothing," I replied, avoiding her eyes. But the cracking of my voice gave me away. I was shocked at what she did next. She put an arm around my shoulders to comfort me, as if.... almost as if we were friends. "You're going to be okay, whatever happened. Understand?" she asked me, "Take this as the chairman's order if you will." I couldn't help but crack a smile. She noticed and blushed, embarrased. "Hey! Stop laughing at me!" she said, her face red but not angry. Now my smile turned into giggling, and finally laughter. She joined in after a few seconds, and just like that, I had made my first friend who was a girl (and was aware of my true gender).

        She brushed away a tear as our laughter finally started subsiding down. "Care to tell me what happened now?" she asked, still with traces of giggles in her voice. Before I knew it, it all came out, the encounter with the Mukata Triplets, how I had felt the need to win for everyone, Hinata, me possibly hurting Kidou's feelings, and Gouenji angry at me and stalking off. She just sat there listening to me quietly, letting me take m time to pour everything out. When I was finally done, we sat there in silence absorbing the details. Then she grabbed me firmly by the shoulders and swiveled me so that I faced her. "You gotta go apologize to both of them. Sort it out with Gouenji. Explain everything to Kidou. If you still want them back, you have to talk to them and move past this." 

        I was a little stunned at how she directly slapped me with the obvious. But I knew deep down that she was right. What had to be done had to be done. "Do you think they will forgive me?" I asked. "Yes. Now let's go!" she replied. Then she stood up and marched over with me towing behind to the car.

         "Batora, first we have to make a pit stop at the Kidou resident."