Seeing Him Through A New Light

Still in Shizumi's POV

        After Kageyama dismissed us, Kidou walked with me to class. He didn't have to even though we have the same first period, so I don't know why. Maybe because he just thought it would be impolite and awkward if he just ditched me.

        When we stepped through the door, the teacher stopped talking and all eyes turned on us. Today really is my lucky day, ne? It was the second time I was the center of attention today. "Gomensai, Sensei," Kidou said with a small bow and the teacher went back to his lessons. But I noticed that most poeple kept on glancing back at me. They don't have to make such a big deal about someone being late, do they? But I was thankful that it was because of Kidou that I got out of getting a detention.

        By lunchtime, I felt like I was living in an alternate universe. I didn't realize until today that Kidou was in all four of my classes before lunch. Why today of all days I noticed, you ask? Well, you would too if the most popular boy of your school started walking with you to all your classes. Yes, he had somehow chose me of all people to walk with. Not next to. I mean with, as in putting an arm around me. I hated all the people looking at us, most of them probably wondering who was the girl Kidou was walking with. I had wanted to remove his arm, but again the feeling from earlier pushed that urge back down.

        Usually, I engaged myself in a book in the corner of the library at lunch, but today, Kidou led me to the cafeteria. And of course, I went with him. Like before, I didn't know why, but I still followed.

        "Oi, Kidou!" a cyan haired boy with an eyepatch shouted across the gigantic room, "Over here!" I quickly recognized him as Sakuma Jirou, Teikoku's deadly striker. The curious glances directed at me from the other students as Kidou walked over to Sakuma's table with me in tow made me lower my head so they couldn't see my face.

        "Who's the girl?" the tall brunette sitting next to Sakuma asked with a suggestive grin. 

        "Our new manager," Kidou replied nonchalantly, but I knew that we could all feel the smugness creeping up his voice. 

        "Nice to meet you," the brunette, also known as the K.O.G. Genda Koujirou said to me. I lowered my head even more to hide the blush that was creeping up my face when he threw in a sexy wink after those words.

        "Come to think of it, we've never had a manager before in the past 40 years. Most other schools entering the Football Frontier did, right?" Sakuma asked the boy with dreadlocks who was clearly enjoying the attention. Kidou just nodded, trying to act as if it was all no big deal. Seeing the response he got, the cyan haired striker exchanged looks with Genda then finally shrugged. "Guess she can stay."

      Then Kidou changed the topic to their upcoming practice match against a weak team I've never heard of called Raimon or something and a mysterious striker who they are planning to lure out. Sakuma and Genda turned their focus to Kidou, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Finally the attention wasn't on me anymore, at least for now. Today really was unlucky. Or maybe it was lucky, but I just didn't like it. Most girls would be thrilled if they were suddenly pulled out of the B-lister crowd and into the spotlight by the prince of the school, but I was, I'll admit, quite timid and shy, and would much MUCH rather prefer to keep my old, stable life from a day ago. 

        After lunch break ended, I was glad I didn't have any classes with Kidou anymore. Just when I was about to dash out of the lunch room and to my fifth period classroom, I felt someone putting a hand on my shoulder. "I'll walk you," said the person behind, "Kidou said he left you with my care." Oh crap, I forgot. I have fifth period with the cyan haired striker. I turned my head around nervously and stuttered, "Arigatou, Sakuma-san."