The Death Bringer's Duty Is To Win

Oh yeah right, you know how in the previous chapter it said that Shizumi had short hair again, right? That was because she cut it since she was coming back to the soccer world. BTW, I put a little bit more of Kidou x Shizumi in this chapter. But don't worry, Sakuma and Genda's turn will come soon. And Fudou's too.

        "Now, the second half begins!" announced Kakuma. Senbayama started the kickoff. "Now all we need is a score! Tie the score!" Endou shouted from his spot. A grin curled up on my lips. A point, that was what I was here for. No, more than one. Enough so that Raimon could come back to victory. That was the soul reason for the Death Bringer to be even placed on the field.

        The members of Senbayama moved the ball toward Endou. "Eh?" a brown haired boy on our team screeched as he saw me run back towards them. Then he became even more shocked when he saw Gouenji run toward the other side, as if already waiting for the pass so that he could attack. I counted the footsteps, one, two, three, now! I dashed across in front of a boy who was supposed to intercept the pass, and stole the ball away. That was my play style, quick dips of speed that let me win. I dribbled the ball up, and was about to pass it to Gouenji, who was already in place for Phoenix Feather, when from behind, Kidou shouted, "Pass it to Someoka!" I hesitated for a moment, my foot still poised. Taking advantage of my pause, three kids surrounded me and started walking around me in a circle. Oh no, this was their hissatsu Kagome Kagome, and once trapped, you can't escape. Think, Shizumi, think.

        Wait, I got it. There's one way to get pass this, but it was risky and all about the right timing. "Pass the ball, Shizumi!" Kidou directed. Now. Thethree kids jumped up and came down at me just as I shot the ball up toward the sky using Kuroi Hane Taifuu. The wind that surrounded my hissatsu blew them away, thus breaking the hissatsu. But all that was unseen, as the dust that had came up from the ground when I used Kuroi Hane Taifuu had surrounded us was too thick to see past.

Kidou's POV

        "Shizumi!" I shouted instinctively in a panic. The dust finally cleared away, and I saw the black haired girl splayed out on the ground propped up by her elbows. Other than the dirt that stained her jersey and the few scapes from falling, she looked fine. The three kids who had tried to ambush her were down on the ground too, also with a few scrapes and messed up hair, as if windblown. It looked like she managed to not let them steal the ball, but speaking of which, where was the soccer ball? It was nowhere in sight, and I had been too alarmed when I thought Shizumi was going to get hurt to pay attention to where the ball was.

        All of a sudden, the black and white ball dropped with a thunk next to Shizumi, who was now crawling up. Before I knew it, I ran over to her. "Ne, are you alright?" I asked, reaching out a hand to help her up. And then I caught myself. Why do I care about her so much? Why did my heart hurt to see her in danger?

Back to Shizumi's POV

        I was a little shaken by the whole mini explosion and falling to the ground that the world felt in a blur. Maybe it was only for a few seconds, but the world was moving in slow motion to me. And I was in my own little world, unconscious of everything around me. In that short amount of time, I forgot that I was back playing at the Football Frontier, forgot that I was defying the gods yet again, and even forgot who I was. I was stepping on that line of hallucination, not quite passing like all who have experienced Chi Sakura Mai had, but not entirely inside the side of reality either.

        A voice that sounded tender and concerned called out to me. "Ne, are you alright?" it asked. Who was it? Why did it sound so familiar? His words were pulling me back to the side of reality, and I finally snapped out of that little world. A pair of pomegranate eyes that belonged to the one who called out for me stared into mine. I realized that it was Kidou. He was reaching out a hand to help me. I was shocked at his behavior, for usually all he did was laugh when I fell, either that or he'd be the one responsible for pushing me into the mud in the first place just for his own entertainment.