Pre-Game Preparations

Yeah, you can tell I had no idea what to put for the title. And sorry this chapter might be kind of short.

Next Day at Practice

        I shook my head slightly and sighed frustratedly at the way practice was turning out so far. By now, I had already cleaned the clubroom's cabinet and wall the best I could and wiped all the soccer balls. The chair problem was getting a little better, with them probably trying to be neater under Sakuma's watch, which I admit was scary thanks to the way his amber pupil seemed to glow as if molten.

        Jimon was lying on the floor panting and sweating while a tired and disheveled Sakuma sat next to him trying to catch his breath. The only person with hope that they could complete Kuroi Hane Taifuu by the time the Football Frontier started was Kidou, who was watching the video by himself right now.

        I ran up to the two fowards with water bottles and towels. "Arigatou, Shizumi-san," panted Sakuma, and took a swig of water. Jimon only grunted in agreement, too tired too get a word out. I didn't blame them. I could relate to this. There was a time when practicing soccer was my everything too.

        "Everybody go home and sleep well even if it is just a weak team we are playing tomorrow," Kidou called out. "Hai!" the members of Teikoku's soccer club shouted at their captain's word. When most of the members had scattered, I walked up to Kidou. "Ne, can I borrow a soccer ball today?" I asked him. He looked at me wierdly, probably wondering what I would need with a soccer ball, but nodded slowly anyway. "Arigatou!" I said with a small bow, then picked up a soccer ball on my way out.

Time Skip

        I walked away from the dark alley, leaving behind five unconscious boys lying on the ground and without any clue on me that could reveal that I had just met those gansters again other than the scruffed soccer ball in hand.

Time Skip

        I put my shoes neatly by the door, then dropped off my schoolbag in my room. Then I went back to the empty living room and stood in front of the phone. My fingers hovered over the dial button as I was nervous whether I should call or not. In the end, I did. After a few rings with my anxiety growing every second, somebody finally picked up.

        "Shizu?" a soft voice asked. "Hai. It's me, mama," I replied. There was a pause on the other end. Then the woman let out a cry of relief. "Shizu! Are you okay? Why are you calling?" I heard another voice on the other end. "Shizu? Is that you?" a man's voice called. "Hai, papa," I answered. "Did something happen?" he asked in a panicked voice. "No, papa. I'm fine," I replied quietly. "Then why are you calling?" my father roared on the other end, "We told you to avoid contact with us unless you were hurt or in danger! Do you know what would happen if anyone found out that you were related to us?!"

        "Gomensai," I said. There was an awkward pause. "Why are you calling us, sweetie?" my mother's soft voice finally asked. "I'm going back into the soccer world," I told them, then added, "As a manager for Teikoku. I'll show my face at the Football Frontier as a girl."

        "Why, Shizu? We told you to stay away from the soccer world!" my mother cried out desperately, "You'll be found out for sure." "Don't worry, mama. I'll be careful," I said, then ended the call before they could reply.

        Tomorrow was going to be the first step of a new road. Or maybe a step back to the old road.