Eighteen

Billie was lying in bed. She was holding her baby's blanket close to her. She wasn't coping at all. She wanted nothing more than to have her baby back.

Billie looked up as Claire walked in. She smiled. "Megan has found a house for her and Mia. She told me to tell you she's sorry if Mia being here has hurt you."

Billie shook her head. "It's been hard. I'll admit that. But I don't mind it at all. I like Mia being here."

Claire smiled. The door opened and Megan walked in. She smiled. "Mia is with Max. He's had her for a few days."

Billie sighed and nodded. "Babes. I can be around her without breaking down. You can't keep your daughter away just because I'm not doing too good."

Megan grinned. "It's not cause of you babes. It's cause this mama needs her sleep and daddy needs to lose his beauty sleep," she told her.

Billie nodded. But she didn't know how to feel about it.

***
Billie walked into the staffroom. Tom was there. He walked over to her and smiled. "Hey. How you doing?" He asked.

Billie rolled her eyes. "I'm fine thank you. Just wish everyone would stop fussing over me. I had a miscarriage. And I need to deal with that. So please," she said.

Tom kissed her lips gently. He sighed. "I'm just worried about you."

"Just relax would you? I'm fine. Everything is going to be fine. Especially me. Okay?"

"Okay. Relax."

Billie smiled slightly and made a cup of coffee. She looked up as Max walked in. He had Mia with her. Billie walked over. "Hey. Can I hold her?"

"Erm sure."

Billie took her niece and held her close. She smiled and kissed her head. "She's even cuter then I remember."

"Not when she's crying at 4am she isn't."

Billie nodded. She handed Mia back to Max and walked out. She didn't know how she was coping and she was losing her mind. But she also as pretending she was okay.

***
Billie was sitting in her classroom. The pupils were all doing an essay. She wanted the whole class in silence.

Megan walked in and smiled. She sat on the desk. "Hey babes. You okay?"

Billie nodded. "I think I'm getting sick of everyone asking if I'm okay. I just want to be left alone."

"I understand that babes. But I do care about you. How about we go out tonight? Nothing too heavy. Just some drinks?"

Billie smiled and nodded. But she knew she didn't want to go deep down. She wanted to stay at home and sleep.

***
Tom stood watching Billie. He knew she was struggling so much with everything that had gone on. Losing their baby. And everything else.

Tom saw Max walking down the corridor. He sighed. "Look. It wasn't wise bringing Mia into the staffroom where Billie was. She's struggling."

"Tom. I feel bad for Billie. I do. But I have rights to go where I want with my daughter."

Tom frowned. "Why are you being insensitive? Billie lost a baby. And you walking round parading Mia off isn't helping her recover."

Max rolled his eyes. "So you automatically assume that all babies should be banned from the staffroom? Tom. You need to get a grip."

Tom walked away. He knew he wanted to protect Billie from everything that could hurt her.

But how far would he go?