Sixteen

Billie sat in the staffroom. She was finally going back to work since the miscarriage and she knew that she would have everyone telling her that they were sorry she lost her baby. She didn't want that. She just wanted her baby back.

Billie looked up as Megan walked in. She walked over to Billie and sat down with her. "Hey. Are you sure you're ready to be back here?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Why are you here? You're still on maternity for a couple more months."

Mia smiled and nodded. "Well Max decoded to show Mia around she's currently strapped to his chest in a baby carrier. You can go see her if you want to?"

"I will later. I need to go before Tom finds out I'm here."

Megan sighed and nodded. She watched as her sister walked off.

***
Billie was sitting in her classroom. She looked up as Tom walked in. "I think you should have had more time off," he said.

"I'm fine. I'm more than happy to be back. I have to come back at some point. Now I'm ready to be here. I'm happy and I'm excited to be back."

Tom sighed. He wasn't convinced. He knew something was going on with Billie and how she was ignoring him.

***
Billie was sitting in the crèche. She saw Max walking in with Mia. Billie walked over to him "I can settle her down?" She asked.

Max nodded and smiled. He handed his daughter over to Billie and sighed. "She's a little touchy today. She won't let you put her down."

Billie laughed. "More cuddles for me then."

***
Max walked into the staffroom. He saw Tom. "Is Billie ready to be back here?" He asked.

Tom sighed. "I don't know. She hasn't talked to me much since she lost the baby. I didn't even know she was coming back today."

Max nodded. "Right. Well she's in the crèche with Mia right now. She seems to be struggling a lot more than anyone thought she was."

"Yes I can see that."

"Just keep an eye on her. She could go off the rails with this," Max said as he turned and walked off.

***
Billie walked around the school. Megan walked towards her. "Max tells me you got Mia settled in the crèche."

"Yeah. She's adorable."

Megan grinned. "Takes after her auntie with that. Listen, are you okay? You don't seem yourself and I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine. I'm just focusing on being back here. I lost the baby and I need to handle that. I need to move on," Billie said as she looked at her sister.

Megan sighed. "You know you can talk to me. I promise you that I'll never judge you," she said.

Billie rolled her eyes and walked off. She was getting sick of everyone asking if she was okay. She sighed as she hid in the toilets.

***
Later on that evening, Billie was sitting in her room. She held her baby scan close to her and felt the tears pouring down her cheeks.

Billie knew she was hiding how she was really feeling. But with Billie's mental health declining, who would notice before it was too late?