Chapter 27

Crystal's POV

*at church with Lance's family*

One of these mornings won't be very long
You'll look for me and I'll be gone, yes, I will
I'm going to a place where there'll be nothing, nothing to do
But simply walk around Heaven all day

When I get to Heaven, I'm gonna jump and shout
Nobody will be able to put me out
My mother, she'll be waiting, my father, my three sisters too
We'll get together and walk around Heaven all day

Oh Father up above, don't You hear, can't You hear me praying?
I need You, I need You to walk right by my side
Lord, when my way, when my way gets cloudy
I need You for my guide

Everyday will be Sunday, my Lord, Sabbath will have no end
We'll do nothing but sing and praise His holy name
And when He says, "Sister, well done"
Then my race, my race will be won

Gonna walk around Heaven, walk around Heaven
Walk around Heaven, walk around Heaven
I'll walk around Heaven, walk around Heaven
We're gonna walk around Heaven all day

That song always gets to me. I remember my mom used to sing it all the time when she was sober. It just brought tears to my eyes just thinking about her. I loved her despite the things she has let happen to me. I knew Casey didn't forgive her but I did. The pastor asks everyone in the church if they need special to come down to the alter. I looked around and my whole heart skipped a beat. I noticed that it was my mother, Carol, walking down the aisle. She looked so much better than before. Her skin was golden. Her black hair reached the middle of her back and her face looked so much like mine. She wore a black dress that complimented her curvy figure with a pair of black wedges to match. Tears rolled down her face. I excused myself from Lance and his family and walked after my mother. I didn't know if she would remember me or not, but I hoped that she did. I touched her from behind and she turned around. He mouth dropped as she placed her right hand over her mouth. Her cried harder and hugged me tightly. She did remember me. I hugged her back. The pastor came up to us and asked what troubled our minds. She told him and we began to pray. My mother's hand were so soft. I just wanted to spend the day with her and ask her what her life has been like.

Church was over and I couldn't wait to meet up with my mom and again. It was a surprise that she had a new man. A man that looked real decent and looked like he treated her right. I walked up to her and she just smiled her pretty smile at me.

"What are you doing here?" She asked out of curiosity.

"I'm here with my boyfriend's family. What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm here with my fiance, Mike. Mike this is my daughter that I told you about," she answered taking a hold of her fiance's hand. He was a tall dark skinned man. I had to admit he was cute for a man of his age. Lance came up to me and placed his hand around my waist. He held out his left hand shook Mike's hand.

"Y'all know each other?" I asked.

"Yea he in the business with us. Mike is like family," Lance said.

"I'm like an uncle to Lance," Mike said.

"Lance this is my mother, Carol," I introduced both of them. Lance hugged my mother and she was surprised. I was surprised.

"Thank you for conceiving a beautiful daughter," Lance said to my mother. I looked at him and blushed. The rest of Lance's family came up and met my mom as well. Carol and Lynn hit it off well. Lynn invited her and Mike to dinner tonight, but first Lynn had plans for Jasmine and I to go to the gun range. She wanted us to practice shooting just in case anything happened. My mother joined us and I was happy that she did. The day at the gun range went well. Lynn said that I was a natual born shooter and she was impressed. Jasmine needed more work but she did good. My mother was the real shooter. I didn't know she had that in her. She had offer to build a relationship with me. It was going to take time but I was all for it.

Day 1: My mother took me out to go shopping. It was like I was little again. She would always spend money on me and made sure I had everything before she addicted to drugs.

Day 2: We headed to the beach and laid out in the sun. It was nice because it was like she was trying to build a friendship with me. She was pointing out dudes that she felt was cute but no dude could compare to my man. Lance wasn't perfect, but he was perfect for me and that is all that matters.

Day 3: We got our nails and toes done. My mom had good taste. I got my nails and toes all white. She on the other hand had to go with purple nails and purple toes. That was her favorite color. We talked about every person that came in the nail shop. Good and bad. Saige and Chanell walked through the doors. Their eyes were locked on mine. I felt my nose flare up. My mom looked at me then at them. Saige rolled her eyes and went on about her business along with Chanell. I didn't need any drama from them right now.

Day 4: My mom took Jasmine and I out to eat. My mom had great taste in food. The restaurant she took us to was absolutely delicious, but nothing could compare to the seafood back in Louisiana.

Day 5: My mom wanted to get to know Lance better and what was his intentions with me. We all had dinner at Lance's apartment. My mother even met Danielle. I knew that she liked Lance and Lance liked her.

"Is there a chance of wedding bells?" My mother asked Lance making me choke on my wine.

"I'm hoping so," Lance said smirking at me.

"I'm sure that's later on down the road just like kids," I said.

"I never asked, but what has Casey been up to?" My mother asked throwing both Lance and I off. Lance got up from the table and cleared it then took Danielle into her room. I didn't want to tell my mother but she needed to know.

"Uh, Casey actually passed away last year," I said taking another sip of my wine. My mother looked at me as if she had seen Casey's ghost. I saw her eyes get teary. I took a deep breath and let out a few tears of my own. My mother threw down her napkin and approached the front door.

"Mom wait," I yelled after her.

"What? Why didn't nobody tell me?" her shaky voice asked.

"We couldn't reach you. Nobody knew where the hell you was the time," I yelled.

"I'm sorry. This is too much,"

"I know," I said. I pulled my mother in for a hug. I knew she was hurt. The last words Casey ever said to her were so harsh and my mother never got a chance to apologize for the years of hell she put both Casey and I through. I forgave her. We would never know if Casey forgave her. More than likely she didn't.