Part 75 - Blame

Milton Balcuwitz nodded, reading the room and the invisible weight between Will and Louis. He imagined it as a massive knot of chains, to be untangled one by one. Unlike a Gorgon's knot, he could not break it apart with a whack of a sword; literally or figuratively. Will's particular problems caused by the Devil's Neckbrace didn't help the process. Balcuwitz would approach the mental fallout separately.

Rachel would handle what the Neckbrace had wrought; he would handle the human problems. That had been his first promise to Cetz and Rachel when he accepted his place at Watch Two.

"On that note of both of you blaming yourselves, I think this is a good place to start your first session of couple therapy," said Balcuwitz.

Will looked alarmed and lost, so many things happening at once. Part one would be to get Will to focus; one thing at a time.

Part two would be lassoing Louis to participate alongside (or inside) Will.

Many boundaries had been broken with the most recent test assigned by Watch One. Time to rebuild, re-label, and reassess.

Louis still sounded rattled after the more recent revelation surrounding Will's incident. But he held on to a grain of outrage. "With me still in here?"

Balcuwitz met outrage with smiling sass. Perhaps he was channeling his aunt Golde, or at least making her proud. "Most human communication is non- verbal, but I'm sure you can use your words."

He didn't want to admit his ability to read Louis' body language was severely hampered in this situation. If the SkySprecht system had come with a body cam so he could observe Louis' micro expressions, it would be easier. He'd have to suggest that to Rachel and Cetz later.

Meanwhile, Balcuwitz could do with a challenge. Working with voices and their underlying tremors and pacifying sounds gave him an edge. But the intent of the session would be to get Will and Louis talking with and understanding each other, not himself.

"Rachel, if you could give us the room?"

"Sure." Rachel unhooked the headset from her ears, a few loose strands of golden hair pulling out of her scalp as she did. She passed the headset over. "Message me if you need anything."

Guilt lined her eyes like smudged kohl. It had been there since this morning when he helped Cetz and her haul Will's unconscious body onto a bed. As Rachel closed the door behind her, Balcuwitz made a mental note to talk to her later.

Will and Louis aren't the only ones blaming themselves.