Part 81 - Harrison

Rachel would do a lot for sushi. Staring at Harrison's face on the communication screen, his lips pursing in and out like a fish as he went over the unfinished test data, was one of them. She had hoped the data of Louis punching a plate in his smaller stature would pacify Harrison's impatience.

Harrison's lips drew into a pinched line.

No such luck.

Harrison looked away from the data screen and back to Rachel. "Did you forget to send the data for the fourth scenario or am I blind?"

Let the interrogation begin. "The fourth scenario could not be completed due to the host, Agent Rowe, becoming ill mid-test." Rachel didn't have to go into specifics of how or why Will had become ill. And she counted on Harrison's lack of empathy not to question it.

"You were cutting it fine by doing the test the day it was due. Turning it in incomplete is unacceptable."

"This isn't a partnered high school science project for a grade," snapped Rachel. Though to her it had felt like one. "It was for data. We make our own deadlines. And the logistics I had to deal with in executing the test gave me the lion's share of the work. Agent Rowe's illness was bad timing. I can't do much when a test subject is unable to perform."

Talking about Will and Louis like they're trained dogs, thought Rachel. Blech.

"Then get someone else to act as the host," said Harrison, as if telling a child to pluck the pickles from their cheese burger if they didn't like them. "If you don't have any willing agents over there I can send a few of mine that know how to finish a job."

Oh, hell no. Rachel knew exactly who Harrison would send over. The mere thought made the back of her neck prickle. She did not want to do a punching test with Agent Justin Cowl unless he was the target. And reading him into the situation with Louis would be torture, for both her and Louis. Agent Cowl would probably laugh.

Mentos in liter of cola would have nothing on the potential violent reaction if Harrison had his way.

Reese won't be up for the test either, reasoned Rachel. He's previous experience being a host had been less than positive. Though if I had to choose anyone else, it would have to be him; whether he liked it or not. Mostly not.

But, she couldn't do a test if Louis was unavailable.

"Unfortunately, at the moment, Agent Patriarch is stuck in his current host."

That made Harrison lean back, eyes wide. "What do you mean stuck?"

"As in not coming out. To do so would cause damage to the host." No need to mention that the damage would be psychological as well as physical.

"You have our test subject stuck inside an ill host, that if removed could cause harm to said host?"

Rachel bristled at his use of "our test subject". Louis wasn't hers, but he sure as hell wasn't Harrison's or Watch One's. "Yes. Do no further harm. A vow I took."

A private vow, not required, but one she tried to keep in balance with her work. And one she pulled out when assholes tried to make her do something she knew shouldn't be done.

"Fine, whatever," said Harrison, deflating just enough to ease Rachel's mind. "For how long?"

"How long was the vow?" Rachel toed a line of courtesy, but at this point she simply wanted to yank on Harrison's chain.

"How long is Agent Patriarch stuck!" Harrison snapped.

"It might take a few days." She hoped that would be enough time to finish the test, or at least wiggle her way out of completing it. Or a reschedule. She prayed for rescheduling.

Harrison sneered at the screen. "I'll see what the committee thinks about this delay. You will keep me updated if things change."

A click and Rachel faced a blank screen, blessedly alone in her office. She sighed, the tension in her shoulder releasing like a palm tree bouncing up from a stiff wind. It would be up to the committee. Time to send more dried pineapple to Doctor Kilo. And time to call Cetz and tell him she'd done what she was supposed to do.

"He better get eel with my sushi."