Part 76 - Bearer of Bad News

Rachel found Cetz in the BT lab next to an open doughnut box, maple icing smeared on his lips, and bits of candied bacon on her clean floor. The scent of baked goods and sanitizer did not mix. A smear of blood dried to brown, gained from helping pick up Will while his nose bled, still graced the side of Cetz's white shirt. She glared and hoped he hadn't done his rounds in that shirt.

Cetz shrugged. "What?"

Rachel grabbed the handheld vacuum cleaner, glitter stuck to the nozzle. She had spent enough time cleaning up the BT lab of blood and bile. She didn't need crumbs around her machines. "You better leave at least one of those for Will."

"I have some self control." Finishing the last bite, he leveled Rachel with a look as she nudged him to the side and cleaned up the crumbs. "So, Will wasn't ready."

Cetz hadn't asked questions when he dragged Balcuwitz down to the BT lab; he simply followed orders as they hauled Will out of the BT-10 and cleaned him up. Rachel had filled him and Balcuwitz in on what had happened, and Louis' theory about the Devil's Neckbrace, but other than he had remained silent. No more. Time for answers.

And hard questions.

As if she did haven't enough guilt to deal with.

"No," said Rachel, putting away the vacuum cleaner. "He wasn't. And I don't think he'll be ready for another test like this for a while."

"But someday," hedged Cetz.

"Maybe. I have to figure out how the Devil's Neckbrace caused whatever is wrong with him, and if it can be reversed. It'll take testing, time. And whatever Balcuwitz does with the two of them will take time. Meanwhile I have the serum in the coffee cups to analyze and compare."

So many plates to spin and she only had one stick. Of course she would screw up at start the week and break her stick.

Rachel grabbed a doughnut and made for the Med Lab. She could afford a few crumbs in there. The world couldn't run off granola bars, oatmeal, and coffee. She bit into sweet maple, savory bacon, and fluffy fried dough. The greasy, salty, sweet flavor soothed like cold cream on a sunburn.

Cetz followed and crossed his arms as the door shut behind them. His headset hung around his neck, off. A flake of drywall dropped from the crack next to the doorway. "Make the Neckbrace your priority. The serum can wait."

While Rachel was happy to have the decision made for her, absolving her of that fraction of guilt, she could tell it hadn't been done for her benefit. "Any particular reason why?"

"Watch Mission Control has been sending me some badly disguised hints that there are cases that might need a smaller touch."

"Seriously?" Bits of bacon and pastry crumb made it from her mouth to the floor. Chew, chew, quick swallow. "I'm trying to figure out a chemical composition to whatever made Louis the size of a mouse, and they want to use him like this?"

"Just hints so far. Nothing solid. They are aware we don't know what Louis is capable of or what his limits are, but they are thinking about it."

"I would also love to know more about what Louis is capable of, but he shouldn't test it out on the field during a case for their benefit."

"Watch Mission Control wants to ask that of Louis first."

Rachel collapsed in her chair. "Why do I think Louis would risk it and say yes?"

"While I'm being the bearer of bad news..."

Rachel wearily waved her free hand. "Bring it."

"I received a message from Harrison at Watch One."

That lazy, impatient, son of rancid beef agar. "Fuck."

"He wants to know when he'll get his test results." Cetz pulled out the other chair and straddled it. "I told him you were busy and would call back. Soon."

Rachel slowly deflated and hid her head behind her crossed arms. She wanted a do-over for the day. Nothing good happened today. If there was a time machine somewhere in the bowels of Watch blueprints and cold storage, she would use it.

Cetz took the half eaten doughnut out of Rachel's limp hand. "So... sushi for tonight?"

Rachel's head shifted at the mention of expensive pity food. As long as Cetz was paying. "With ice cream mochi?"

"Yes, I'll get you ice cream mochi."

"And tempura shrimp?"

"Yes."

"And extra wasabi?"

"All the wasabi. And ginger. A whole wave of it."

"Good, maybe if I clear my sinuses enough I can mentally blank out Harrison's existence."

Cetz patted her on the shoulder. "Call Harrison first."

Right, thought Rachel. One thing at a time. Harrison. Then get the Neckbrace out of cold storage. I can do that. There will be sushi at the end of this shit-rainbow.

As Cetz walked towards the door and the other responsibilities of the Watch, Rachel called out. "Change your shirt, please."

Cetz looked down, lifting his arms until he saw the stain. "Oh. Oops."