Part 106 - Coffee Betrayal

Will sat on the medical bed, for a moment, mesmerized by the ripples of Louis' abdomen. Until the growing red splotches caught his eye. "Oh no, that's not good. You need medical attention."

I shouldn't be ogling him like this. That's just rude. Captain Dorito has a six pack. He's a snack bar. And I'm sitting here staring while he has a burn.

"I need a bag of ice," hissed Louis. He let go of the steaming shirt, shaking his wet hands and then poking at the red skin. "Ow! Every fuckin' time."

"You need a nurse," replied Will. He hit the red bedside button and pushed the suspended desk to the side to get out of bed. A cupboard to the side of the room contained extra blankets and scrubs. He took out a robe. "And a shirt."

For my sake at least.

Will helped Louis get the robe over his shoulders by the time a nurse arrived.

"What happened?" asked the nurse.

"I think he got attacked by a coffee cup," said Will.

"Not coffee," grumbled Louis. "Coffee wouldn't betray me like this. Coffee is my friend. I got tripped by a fur-ball."

The nurse took a close look at the red welts on Louis' chest. "You got scalded. Doesn't look deep but you got a lot of surface area. You need a cold rinse. Follow me."

The nurse led Louis away, out of the room and down the hall. Out of sight and out of mind, though not quite out of Will's hearing range with the way Louis was cursing out Copperfield.

Will knelt by the bed and looked under it. The white rabbit sat in the back corner, red eyes wide, and nose wiggling, just out of reach.

"You better not be chewing on those power cords," said Will. He patted the floor with the hand not clamped with a heart monitor. "Come on, Copperfield. You know better than to get out of your cage."

The rabbit didn't budge.

"Don't make me get Rachel," warned Will.

"Did you lose something?"

Will bolted up to his knees. While distracted, Copperfield made a dash for the doorway, only to be caught by Doctor Hayman.

"Are we following Alice down rabbit holes already?" said Hayman, lifted the rabbit up so they were nose to nose.

Will sighed. "Maybe. Kinda feels like it. And it's only Wednesday."

Wednesday. A week ago he had been frantic because of a call from an old boyfriend. It felt like years ago.

"Understandable." Hayman bounced the rabbit in his arms. "And where does this creature belong?"

Will pointed down the hall and past the exit of Med Tech. "Rachel's lab is down the hall and to the left. Big swinging doors, can't miss it."

"Thank you. And I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but how are you feeling?"

"Tired is the right word. I'm glad what happened is on record, but I don't want to go through it again." Will gestured to the tablet on the bed. "On the fun side, I can look at my brainwaves through a tablet."

Hayman smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling. "Oh, trying to move the lines with your mind, eh?"

"Little bit," admitted Will. Shame I can't be telekinetic with my own brainwaves.

Hayman promised to see him later that night and left to return the rabbit to its home.

Will refocused on the mess at his doorway. He picked up Louis' t-shirt by a dry edge. Steam still coiled from the stain. He couldn't confirm with a stuffed nose, but the shirt didn't smell like coffee.

Louis had been on his way to see me. Why? Checking to make sure I was okay? Had a question? He tossed the t-shirt into a hamper and then glared at his makeshift inbox. He still had patents to go through. And if he didn't keep on top of them he'd end up with the same mess Louis had on his desk. Guess I can ask later. If it's important he'll come back.