Chapter 56: The Approaching Storm

"Lady Myungok has passed away!"

The news reverberated in the entire palace. And it wasn't so long before they found out she was poisoned slowly but surely through the lotus tea, and the culprit was none other than the maid serving her—Sa Youngmi.

The familiar name left you speechless. The timid girl, the friendly girl who had helped you adjust in the maid job that you were quite failing in, had committed a murder. Her back story about her family and that it was a revenge was revealed, but you didn't know what to believe anymore. Only that she was gone—trapped, killed or fled.

The news of the promised heir and Emperor's consort dead, the Second Prince in cell shook the people, and the Emperor himself falling far ill, now bedridden was enough to engulf the whole land in agony.

Calamity coiled heavily above the land of Kwandae. Because the tragedy was yet to leave.

"The Northern State has declared a treason."

The air in the assembly hall sank low, almost suffocating.

No one sat on the throne, as it had lost its rightful owner, only Taehyung and Jungkook standing close to the podium.

A royal wedding was, of course, nothing but a political device. Giving away a noble family from a state meant a peace treaty, and now that the treaty was shredded by none other than someone inside the palace had turned the Northern State in flare. They demanded Namjoon to be freed, but that was unacceptable when they were still investigating how deep he was involved with the plot, and what's more, just being born as a sinner's son.

And now, finally, the tight string had snapped.

"We need to suppress them before they enter our border," one of the officials said.

"How foolish they are, to think they can fight against our armies?"

"The Northern armies are strong. They go through severe training unlike others, we shall not underestimate them."

"But we still have other states at our back. If not skills, we still outnumber them."

"We should not be so sure to count on them. The public have been unsettling these days, with how we have lost the heirs consecutively. They are starting to hold doubts."

Which was true. With the Emperor falling ill, Seokjin killed, Namjoon behind the bar, it was only natural that the people have started doubting if they could keep on trusting the Central State, the palace.

"That is why we need to suppress the North, to prove we are still strong and stable."

"For our dignity."

"But, who goes? We need someone with honour to lead the army to make the result consequential."

The officials fell in brief silence as they glanced at Taehyung's direction. Someone even mumbled, "The Third Prince."

Standing by Yoongi, behind all the discussing officials, you swallowed where this was going. You couldn't see what Taehyung was feeling. He was only staring at the floor in front of him.

"We cannot bear to lose another heir!" an official protested, and some of them followed.

"This is a good opportunity," another one with a thick beard spoke up. "To prove His Highness is worthy of the throne."

"He is the next prince in line. What is there to prove?"

"I believe you are not deaf to understand what our people are saying. They are worried."

"His Highness is knowledgeable. He excels in martial arts. Why worry?"

"With all due respect, allow me to speak for the commoners—because he is not of royal blood," the man with a beard said. "Because he was a beggar on the street. He still would have been if not for His Majesty's grace. And what is more, he was born from a filthy prostitu-"

"Watch your mouth!" growled someone from the front. It was Jungkook, his eyes wide in fury, his hands clenched in fists.

You didn't fail to see the annoyed expression on the bearded official, as he cleared his throat and continued, "What I am trying to say is, to win the trusts of those who doubt His Highness' capability, this is a great chance."

The hall in uproar grew silent for a moment. The official against the idea begrudgingly knew he had a point. Although Taehyung had been talented in many ways, which by means of skill, he should be well worth sitting on the throne. And yet half the people believed blood was what counted, and what ran in his veins was not only unroyal but filthy.

Taehyung knew it well. He never even dreamed of ruling the land. The future he envisioned consisted of Seokjin on the throne, while the rest of his brothers stood by his side, aiding and withstanding. But that was all shattered; Seokjin was dead, Namjoon was caught, and the next in line was him and Jungkook. Although he didn't aspire to be one, he could not throw away the responsibility that had suddenly weighed on him. It was heavier than he thought.

"We are not risking another life," Jungkook demanded. "Hyung will not-"

"I will go."

Taehyung's low yet clear timber earned gasps from the officials, also a disbelief from Jungkook yelping, "Hyung!"

"I will go."

This time he said it louder, his eyes trailing on the officials' faces, worried, scared, surprised, contemplating, amused, belittling and mirth.

"Then I'll go instead," Jungkook protested.

"No."

"Then I'll go with you!"

"No," Taehyung refused firmly. Jungkook's face was the most expressive in the hall; petrified to lose another family, frustrated that he wasn't letting him do anything to avoid that. Taehyung knew how that exactly felt like, and that was the very reason why he wouldn't compromise.

He placed his hand on the younger's shoulder, giving a soft smile. "Please stay, and watch after the palace. I can only count on you."

That's not fair. Jungkook choked on those words, feeling helpless. Again. It had always been Taehyung taking care of him, looking after him, from the moment they met, back when they had nothing. He was offering and selfless. Now having enough and more, Jungkook still failed to return him anything.

Taehyung turned to the mass of people. "General Jung and I will brainstorm the plan and prepare the army. I ask you all to help me gather all the relevant information about the situation."

"Yes, Your Highness."

All the officials bowed at his command. All but you. Taehyung's dark brown eyes shot straight at you across the hall, unwavering, but you couldn't make out the meaning behind them. Still, your heart quivered, your fingers jittered, and as you drew in a shallow breath, you sensed the smell of rain approaching.

A/N:

Updating at the unusual time of the day!

Sorry for the late update, but my life has  been busy, and it's getting hard for me to figure out how to write down what I want to write. 

Although my updates are slow, rest assured, I will finish this book, and we are 2/3 in it already! To everyone who has been reading it thus far, who has been voting, and leaving comments, thank you so much. Do know that if it weren't for you, I don't think I'd even  be here :)