Chapter 11: The Persuasion

You quickly shoved your clothes at the very back of your drawer, and tied your hair with a ribbon.

The wooden door creaked as you pushed open, revealing a young boy standing outside.

"Good morning, miss. The Fourth Prince wants you at his residence," he repeated with a smile.

You saw Jungkook around the palace almost everyday, except for your residence or his. You wondered why he'd call you there, and you felt more puzzled when you saw Taehyung was there too.

Jungkook was sitting up on his bed, his hair undone unlike usual. He was pouting at a small table for the bed set in front of him, that had a tray of food on it.

"I hate sick people's food. It's yuck," he complained.

"You are sick," Taehyung, who was standing next to his bed, chided.

"This porridge is the worst thing! It tastes like medicine."

"Probably because it is good for your body, Jungkook. Now stop whining."

You were watching the brothers bickering from afar, until Jungkook noticed you at the entrance of the room.

"Y/n!" he smiled, and waved his arm. You smiled back and walked over.

"Hyung is trying to feed me with poison," he whined at you.

"You were the one being careless jumping in a cold pond," Taehyung said in frustration.

Seemingly, among the guards that dived in the pond yesterday, Jungkook was there. He dived in naked and swam to his heart's content, and woke up the next day with a fever.

Who could ever blame Taehyung for feeling frustrated?

"Fine, I'll have it..if you get me the Jeonggwa* from Omo ahjumma," Jungkook proposed, stirring the porridge with a spoon mindlessly.

"Why her? If you want Jeonggwa, I'll get them from our cuisine," Taehyung said.

"No, I want it from that ahjumma! It's totally different from ours, and hers is the best. Hyung, please do me a favour, hm?"

Now he blinked at Taehyung, requesting him with his big eyes, probably glistening due to fever.

Jungkook was usually carefree and the most youthful among the four Princes and that was one of his charms, but today he was like a child. So much so that if one was to shut their eyes and listen to the conversation, they'd think a ten year old was being stubborn.

Taehyung exhaled a sigh, then agreed unhappily, "...fine, I'll go get it."

Jungkook, on the other hand, was happy that his request was heard, and said in a smile, "take y/n with you!"

You and Taehyung both looked at the sick boy.

"What?"

"You know how Omo ahjumma likes young pretty girls. She'd definitely give you an extra scoop if she went."

"...No, I'm not going to baby-sit anyone," Taehyung said.

You were about to protest at his belittling remark, but Jungkook was quicker to open his mouth.

"I also think it's a good chance she sees around our city. She's stuck in this palace for a while now, and she might recall her memory. Don't you want her to?"

Having someone with an unknown origin in the palace wasn't commendable, and of course it was important that you recall your memory (that was never lost) as soon as possible.

But that was an excuse Jungkook made so that Taehyung would take you out—he felt sorry that you didn't have the freedom to hang out, and this was a chance that you could.

Fifteen minutes later, you were out of the palace gate alongside a tall man.

Jungkook had succeeded in persuading Taehyung to buy him his favourite candy and taking you out.

"Is that to hide your identity too?" you asked, glancing up at Taehyung. Taehyung nodded in response.

He was wearing a black bamboo hat that had a thin black organdy encircling the edge, draping down like a curtain hiding his sharp and handsome face.

He was also dressed in a common people's attire, just like you. He told you to do so before you left the palace, so that they could avoid unwanted attention.

Since the day Taehyung helped you to find your way in the palace, you have lost your negative feelings for him. Perhaps even better, starting to think he might not be a bad person—only savage.

However, you still weren't close, and you were nervous walking next to a person with an intimidating aura.

A/N:

*Jeonggwa: candied dried fruits. Traditional Korean delicacy.