Chapter 14: A Step Closer

"...Okay? Do it well. Your life's on the stake," he confirmed in a low voice after explaining. "I'll be at this place everyday."

The man put back the hood on his head, and flipped the black robe to turn.

"Wait-"

"Y/n!"

You turned your head around, and Taehyung was walking up to you.

"I told you I don't want to babysit," Taehyung grumbled. He seemed to be a little out of breath. Was he running around to look for you?

"...It's not like I wanted to get lost," you mumbled back.

"That's what all lost children say when they're found," he retorted.

You pouted a little but didn't talk back. After all, you were thankful that he came to look for you. Realising something, you turn around to see but the black robed man had disappeared without a trace.

"What are you looking at?"

"Uh, um, that!"

Taehyung asked and you, wanting to hide your previous conversation, pointed in a random direction. And that happened to be the Jimin look alike and the young boy.

The Jimin look alike was performing a dance on the street, and the young boy was collecting money in a small sack. His dance was elegant and graceful and you wondered if the real Jimin was that good at dancing.

The young boy came walking towards you two, and pulled the sack in front of Taehyung, his eyes glittering with hope. After a moment of thought, Taehyung held out a coin in his hand, and the boy smiled further.

When the boy thought he was going to get that coin, Taehyung closed his hand and opened, and the coin was gone. The boy instantly frowned, getting fooled, and was about to cry, when Taehyung closed his hand again making two coins appear this time.

The boy's face was literally beaming now. He was so fascinated with the sorcery that happened right in front of him, and watched in awe as Taehyung put those two coins in the sack.

"Thank you sir!" the boy exclaimed excitedly. Taehyung smiled a little, and brushed the boy's head before he walked away.

"What was that?" you asked at last.

"A small trick."

"I didn't know you had such a talent...and also that you give money to the street performers."

"Am I forbidden to?" he raised his brow.

"No! It was just...," unexpected, you thought. He was a prince, he was indifferent, and you thought he wasn't bothered with common people's life. But you just witnessed him entertaining the boy and helping him out.

"We need to go back," he prompted. After walking two steps, he turned back slightly, taking out his left arm to you as if he remembered something. "Mn."

"What?" you asked, not understanding his intention.

"...I don't want to go look for you again," he said in a low voice, almost inaudible. "Hold my sleeve."

You blinked in surprise and looked up at him. If it weren't for his bamboo hat covering his face, his tip of ears growing pink would've been exposed.

You slowly reach out to pinch the hem of his white sleeve. You couldn't really explain, but your heart felt ticklish and warm.

From the sleeve you held, you could see his bandaged left wrist.

"Does it still hurt?" you asked.

He turned back, looking at where your eyes were placed. When he realised you were talking about his twisted left wrist, he shook his head.

"No, not really."

As he was hesitating whether to add 'thanks to you' or not, you gave out a small smile of relief which made him lose his words.

He felt an indescribable warm fuzz in his heart.

—Late night, at Consort's residence

Namjoon was walking down the corridor where night wind blew in from open windows. The night was still chilly, carrying the scent of wetness. He inhaled deeply, hoping the chill would occupy his chest and ease his heart a little.

"Lady, I'm here," he said as he knocked on the big wooden door.

"Come in," an acute female voice sliced through the chilly night air.

Namjoon inhaled once again, before he pushed the door open. Lady Myungok was just dismissing a maid who poured her favourite lotus flower tea.

The maid quickly bowed at Namjoon before she took a leave, and there were only two in the room.

"Sit," Lady Myungok advised a seat opposite her low table. He followed, sitting down without a sound.

"Do you want some tea?" she asked, and Namjoon shook his head.

The lotus flower tea was an ornate tea which was a specialty of the Northern State where the Lady came from. Not sure if that was the reason, but she was the only one who preferred to drink this tea in the whole family, and Namjoon was no exception.

Namjoon was sitting straight, his eyes focused down on his fists that rested on his thighs.

"My son," rang her thin voice, and he inhaled sharply in reflex. "What is your take on the tournament yesterday?"

He was well aware of the reason for the invitation today.

"I'm sorry mother, to have disappointed you," his eyes were still glued onto his fists.

"Second in the sword fight, second in the archery...is it because you're the Second Prince that you're attracted to number two?" she took another sip of her tea leisurely.

"No! I intend to be the first...but I'm still incapable," his eyes now looked up at his mother, who was staring in the air with her delicate thin finger played with the rim of the tea cup.

"Have I heard that last year? And maybe last to last year? And perhaps years before...."

He couldn't say anything, and he looked back down again, his eyelashes trembling.

"My son, you are capable," she slowly placed her palm on his cheeks. She raised his face and said, "but you aren't craving for it enough."

Her cold eyes made chill run down his spine. But he looked closely enough, and deep down, he could see the thick incriminate dark pool whirling in her body.

"You're going to take me out of this inner palace, won't you my son?" she smiled elegantly.

"Yes, mother."

"I know you can make me proud."

She sighed in satisfaction, taking another sip of her tea.

A/N:

Are y'all ready to go down this royal family sh*t hole??