Chapter 16: The Rumour

—Morning at the pavilion

The royal family was having their breakfast when Lady Myungok initiated.

"I heard Taehyung is willing to go to the Western State to see the bridge?"

The Emperor's hand stopped moving its chopsticks, and asked, "...where did you hear that from?"

"Your Majesty, I apologise for my inquisitiveness, but I believe what is happening in the governance hall is of great importance to all of your people," she replied, accompanied by a humble small bow.

The governance hall, as its name explains, was a hall where the Emperor handled the matters of his empire. It was where the officials assembled once a week (unless when a grave issue occurs then more) to report the concerns, where they discuss the matter, and where the Emperor gives orders.

The four princes attended the assembly so that they could learn how the governance was done for their future studies. And that was when the current topic happened.

"Your Majesty, we have secured enough plum wines for the coming birthday of His Highness," one of the officials informed.

"Have you?"

"Yes. The winery said that the plums last year were rich and plenty, so we can expect delicious wines."

"I am looking forward to that," the Emperor nodded in a satisfactory smile.

"Next?"

"Your Majesty," another official raised his voice.

"Speak."

"...It was informed that the bridge at the Western State was completed."

The Emperor's finger twitched, but he didn't say a word. The ruckus that had happened relating to the issue must have crossed everyone's mind, and uneasy silence fell in the room.

"Th-the people must have worked hard after having talked to the Princes. This must be all thanks to them," the official added.

"Mn," was all he got from the Emperor.

When the silence was about to envelop the room once again, a voice was heard.

"...Your Majesty," Taehyung who was silently listening spoke. "I wish to go inspect the bridge."

The officials praised him saying that he was responsible, but the Emperor stayed silent.

And now, the next morning, the topic was served on the table again, unappetising probably, with everyone either nervously or uncomfortably waiting for the Emperor's words.

"Why refuse it Your Majesty? It's not like there is any unconvincing reason...is there?"

Yet, who knew the Lady will throw in more spikes and make the atmosphere worse?

"Myungok...," the Emperor uttered lowly.

"Your Majesty, I hope you give me permission. I only wish to see how the end result of my duty has turned out," Taehyung opened his mouth, bowing slightly.

"Our son is truly responsible," Empress Eunjeong smiled. "He must miss his hometown too."

"Then I'll go too," Jungkook volunteered, but was soon turned down by the Emperor's, "only Taehyung is going."

"That's not fair!" Jungkook boldly whined. He probably was the only person who could talk to the Emperor so casually, fearless, for sure.

The Emperor only shot a glare at Jungkook, his voice strictly saying, "I heard you are lagging behind on your studies?"