Chapter 44: The Captive

Further in the dark, an owl croaked, announcing the bewitched time of the day.

Daunting silence engulfed the chamber with barely visible lights from the candle, with one figure holding an air of silence, another with frustration, the last with fear.

"Hyung, she's in there!" the young man in black robe said, his words out of breath.

The man in purple robe nodded. "Stay here, Jungkook."

"No! I'm going in too!" Jungkook protested, eagerly clutching on his brother's arm. "There are at least two in there, and you are outnumbered. What if-"

Taehyung looked at the younger's eyes reassuringly. "That most likely won't happen. But if you do hear the sound of a sword, come in. If I don't come out in fifteen minutes, go call my guard and yours."

Jungkook knew. Seokjin and Hoseok were probably in there with you, and the way to get around this was to have a smart talk, instead of alarming them with two men barging in—one definitely high on his adrenaline from anxiety. He knew Taehyung could get away with his talk, and he wasn't much of a use.

"But I want to save y/n!"

"I don't know what's going on in there, but I promise I'll come out with her," Taehyung persuaded his younger brother softly. He covered Jungkook's hand on his arm with his other free hand warmly.

Then he looked into the younger's eyes with nothing but truthfulness. "She's important to me as much as she's important to you."

"Do you trust me?"

His voice wasn't demanding or commanding, it was soft, as though asking for Jungkook's approval and understanding.

Of course he trusted Taehyung. There was no one in the world other than him who he would sell his soul to. If he said he'd do it, then he would. You were in safe hands, so this pricking sadness in his heart must be an illusion.

The silence in the chamber broke with a silent knock on the door. The knock, however, wasn't asking for the approval as it opened before it was answered by the visitor. Finally, another source of light seeped in the room, making a road of natural blue light on a stoned floor.

"Hyungnim," the man fluttered in a purple robe growled, panting for air.

The man with a pale blue robe deepened his air of frustration, greeting the intruder. "Why, hello, Taehyung."

Hoseok, who stood by the entrance, raised his arm sharply, in his hand holding a sheathed sword, detaining the newcomer to enter further. Taehyung instantly locked his eyes on the figure seated on the chair, turning the head to recognise your last hope.

"What brings you here?" Seokjin asked in a masked sincerity.

"I came to pick my friend up."

"Well, she's my guest. You can't just take her away, can you?"

Hoseok wasn't budging, and Taehyung stood still, his eyes locked on the man in pale blue robe, inching closer to him.

"What is she doing here?"

"Just a friendly chat."

Taehyung wanted to believe that. Seokjin had always been a kind and caring brother. But he couldn't. Not when he saw your watery eyes glistening in the night light, truly glad to see him. Not when your shoulders shook small in fear. Not when your lip parted crying for an inaudible 'help'.

"Do you realise," Seokjin dragged his feet around you, walking closer to the visitor. "That visiting me at this hour is quite inappropriate?"

His tone was cold, and his gaze was dark. Taehyung stumbled at seeing such a side of his beloved brother. But he wasn't going to back off.