Chapter 3: The Realisation

You had yet to come across a good reaction from people around here, and it was natural that you were cautious, thinking of a possible way to escape.

But the boy's black doe eyes were glittering, too innocent, and you couldn't see any bad intentions.

"Here, eat this," he said as he took out a white bun.

You looked at the boy and the bun back and forth with doubtful eyes. You didn't know his motives, and you weren't supposed to eat something from a stranger.

"It's safe. And you know you'd starve at this rate," he chuckled, and stuffed the bun in your mouth. You let out a muffled yelp, but with a single unintentional bite on it, the bun was soft and fluffy, and by the time you knew, you had finished eating it.

"This bun is yummy right? It's better than that rude man's pancakes," he smiled at how you were indulged in eating.

"You saw??" after swallowing the last bite, you asked, startled.

"Yes, you're so unfortunate to be taken as a thief!"

The boy laughed out loud probably recalling the scene earlier on how you were troubled.

But you on the other hand were growing more suspicious. That meant that this boy had been watching you, trailing you all the way here. For what reason?

Just when you thought of escaping, he grabbed your wrist.

"You must be tired of running away now. Besides, everyone is looking for you, and you don't even have money to feed yourself. What are you going to do?"

The boy was still smiling, but that smile was uncanny. Wasn't he practically blackmailing you?

"I'm just trying to help you. Come with me, I can provide the shelter you need."

He sounded dubious, and there wasn't a factor you could trust him. But for some reason, you felt like he wasn't lying to you, perhaps it was his big crystal eyes that spoke sincerity, or perhaps it was his playful and youthful smile that cracked your wall.

And so you were now walking side by side with the boy, headed to 'his house'.

"What's the name of this place?" you asked. You hoped to figure out the situation, and you were desperate for information.

"This is Yongin city, the biggest city and the capital in this Empire. How can you not know that much?" the boy looked at you curiously. "Then again, you don't seem to recognise me. Pretty interesting."

Were you supposed to know him? Was he a famous actor or something?

Yongin, the place sounded unfamiliar, and you thought of searching it on your phone. Picking up your phone from your pocket, you realised there was no signal.

"This Yongin place doesn't have a signal?"

"Signal? What's that? And what's this?" he replied, now observing what was in your hand.

"It's an oven. Duh, it's a smartphone, don't act like you've never seen it," you said, rolling your eyes.

"Ov-? Sma...what?"

Unexpectedly he sounded like he really didn't know the terms. His curiosity only grew, and his hand tried to reach your phone. Feeling something was off, you quickly shoved it back in your pocket.

"Oh, sorry, bad manners. My brothers taught me not to pick on random things out of curiosity," he smiled apologetically and retreated.

Then suddenly, the most absurd thought hit you. The moment you walked in the street, it did sneak in somewhere at the back of your mind, but you ignored it all along because that only happened in novels or movies. It can't be.

Nervous at the thought, you couldn't help but ask, "what year are we in?"

"Hm? You're so strange," apparently strange was a compliment according to him, and he laughed, "it's 273rd year of Cheonan."

It was as if the lightning had struck you—no, even if the lightning did strike, it wouldn't be as shocking as this.

You were bad at history, but you at least knew that Cheonan was an era that existed back in time. And the Dynasty that ruled this whole land was—

"Here we are! Welcome to Taehwagung, the royal palace of Kwandae!"

With the boy's announcement, you looked up. You were lost in thoughts, mindlessly following him, that you didn't realise you were at the end of the road.

At the end of the road were tall, heavy-looking gates and tall walls, painted in dark red, countless tiles on their roofs, intricate designs were seen everywhere, and at the top of the gate, in the middle, was a golden plate with the name 'Taehwagung' engraved on it.

A profound site where you lost your words.

"It's unfortunate to say that you can't enter the normal gate. We need to sneak in, so come this way," he prompted, and pretty much dragged you by your hand who was still in a daze.

He led you to a small gate buried in the palace wall, which probably was only known for workers in this palace.

He popped his head in, quickly scanned around before he let you in. He then quickly took you to a traditional housing, letting you in a rather spacious room. Sticking out his index finger and putting it on his lips, he whispered, "listen carefully. You need to keep a low profile in here. If my brother finds out about this, I'm a dead meat-."

"Too late."

A low tenor came from behind the boy, making him gasp. The boy clearly knew whose voice it was, because he didn't even bother turning around but instead bit his lips, looking troubled, cold sweat running down his forehead.