Chapter 62: The Secret

It took so much in you to tell Taehyung the truth.

But you made a promise, and the least you could do was to be honest. You asked Yoongi if this was okay, and while he gave you a judgemental look, he didn't oppose. Perhaps he trusted Taehyung as much, or perhaps he couldn't be bothered with anything anymore. He did warn you though; 'you will get hurt.'

Taehyung was surprisingly patient while listening to your implausible story. He did widen his eyes and draw in his breaths from time to time, but he did not interject until you finished. It took him time to sink them all in, though.

"You're from the future? 700 years ahead?"

You nodded.

"You came here by mistake? Because of Lord Min?"

Another nod.

"And you have to go back?"

A third nod.

"When?"

"...In maybe four months," you muttered. The silence after that daunted you. "I...I'm so sorry for lying to you, hiding this all from you. And I understand if you don't want me to be around you."

Those words tasted bitter on your tongue.

You knew what was coming. Separation was inevitable. You knew, and you made a choice. That was why Yoongi looked at you hopelessly. But Taehyung didn't know. You have come to a point where you wanted to hold his hands for as long as you could, even though you knew what was coming. But Taehyung never had that choice, and now that he had, it was all his to make.

There was a stagnant silence, and you felt like running away. Until he finally opened his mouth.

"It's a lot to take in," he said. "It's something I'd never imagined happening at all. And while I want to think this is all a lie, because," his voice fell, his hand squeezing your hand tighter. He didn't have to say the rest, because it was all clear in the heaviness of the moment, and the force was as if he was squeezing your heart.

"But I am incapable of letting your hand go."

Your vision blurred. You were selfish. If anyone had a right to cry right now, it was Taehyung. So you held back your tears.

"Stay with me, y/n," he leaned his forehead on yours, eyes closed. "Until the last moment."

"I promise," you said, assuring by holding back his hand tighter.

The palace was restless than ever.

With two princes back, they finally held a proper funeral for the Emperor. And while the loss did ache Taehyung, he had been mentally prepared for this.

What followed next was to choose the next ruler. With the promised heir gone, the discussion was to be held. While Jungkook had been withholding the place during his brothers' absence, he convinced himself he was only temporary, and will never be permanent. Also, going down the line, it was supposed to be Namjoon or Taehyung, but both had their own faults on the table.

Namjoon had redeemed his position by showing loyalty to the palace and his achievement of solving the conflict. However, he was still a son of a sinner, and some had doubts on his motives.

And while Taehyung had irreproachable talent, he was still a beggar once, a son of a prostitute, and everyone was convinced he hadn't a drop of royal blood in him. Taehyung himself never aspired to be one.

"We will humbly accept the final decision you make," Namjoon told the officials in the assembly. "I believe you will make the wise decision for the good of the land and people."

The officials looked at each other and muttered to themselves. You glanced at Yoongi, only to see he wasn't concerned at all.

"However, I can smell greed in this room," Namjoon said, and the chatters died out instantly. "I believe the wise decision can only be made among the wise ones, am I wrong?"

Taehyung and Jungkook stared at Namjoon, knowing and agreeing what was going to happen was a needed reformation.

"I have here, the list of names who schemed the fall of this empire," Namjoon took out a roll of paper. Few people in the group visibly jostled, unable to contain the fact that the roll looked too similar to them. One of them was the bearded man, who pushed Taehyung to go to the warzone. Namjoon recognised that face as the one who let him escape and tempted him to betray. This, right now, was the reason he had acquired the list. There is no peace with evil slithering beneath.

"The snakes that harm us are to be wiped out," Namjoon declared.

After the necessary reformation of making the parliament right again, Namjoon was chosen as the next Emperor with Taehyung and Jungkook as his advisor. Namjoon had sworn he would never even think about abandoning the palace when the man whispered to him evil. If he could ever repay Seokjin or make him proud, it was to keep the palace safe for the people, his people, especially his family. And that was what he decided to live upon.

A/N:

I'm here to tell you that we are closing to an end...it's surreal but ohh it's really happening!