Chapter 9: The Martial Arts Tournament III

After an intense sword match, there was a break time. Light snacks and drinks were passed out to the crowd, while a long table was prepared in the pavilion spread with exquisite delicacies and all sorts of drinks for the nobles to help themselves.

Even though it was break time, the courtyard wasn't left empty. There were groups of dancers performing, little gigs and mini performances.

You were munching on a bun when you saw a rope walking happening. There was a teenage boy high up on a thin rope, who was about to start walking from the edge.

There were drums below beating on rhythms to heighten the tension, and few people watching cheered. You somehow felt uneasiness grow in you, keeping you glued at the scene.

Under the pavilion, no one watched, nobles keeping themselves busy exchanging flattery over the long table of refreshment. Only Taehyung who was standing away from them observed. The rope looked old and unreliable, while the boy looked nervous.

It happened when the teenage boy only had five more steps to his accomplishment. He must have felt relieved seeing the end and he stepped at an unstable angle, and the exact place was where the worn out rope was at its thinnest.

His body turned over, and all that could catch him was the stone cold field below. He wouldn't die from that height, but he would break a bone or two. And to make such a mess in the middle of this festive event? In front of the royal family? The crowd watching stirred.

You unconsciously stepped out, unthinking of whether your ability was enough to save him. Just when the boy was about to hit the ground that would have followed with the sound of breaking bones and his painful scream, someone caught him.

Instead of a scream, the cheer and clapping was heard, praising the hero, "The Third Prince!"

The boy who was stiff in Taehyung's arms jolted back up, bowing at him countless times thanking and apologising to him, blanched at the same time to have made a royal family save him.

Nobles in the pavilion had also heard the commotion, and praised Taehyung's virtuous deed, picking up the words from their never-withering well of shameful compliments.

"As expected of our Taehyung," Seokjin commented in a big smile. However, Namjoon looked at sight in disdain.

The audience was relieved and looked at Taehyung with respect, while you gazed at him in furrowed eyebrows. You felt something was amiss. Maybe because you were closer to the two than others, but just when Taehyung caught the boy, you thought you saw his left wrist twist, and a flash of pain colouring his face.

But you didn't have a hawk's eye, and you concluded you were imagining things as Taehyung walked back to the pavilion like nothing happened.

The archery tournament was simple; one round of ten royal guards will perform with a chance of five arrows. The closer they shoot to the middle, the higher the point, and it continues until the last person remains, marking the winner.

Then it was the turn of the Princes, as all four stood side by side—Jungkook was back after changing into fresh new robes. The rule was the same with five shots to the target, and the one with the most accurate shot was the winner.

The Princes shot one by one, starting from Jungkook, Taehyung, Namjoon and lastly Seokjin.

Jungkook clearly preferred swords more, with his shot barely hitting the target. Then came Taehyung's turn and that was when you thought, perhaps you weren't imagining things—because Taehyung drew his arrow with his right hand.

"En? Hyung, you're using your right?" Jungkook asked after Taehyung released his first shot, hitting the red mark in the middle but not at the complete center.

"Mn. I feel like it," Taehyung replied quietly.

Namjoon glanced at Taehyung sharply, then took his shot.

The five shots were over, and never once did Taehyung use his dominant left hand. Still, the score was remarkable, with three out of five shots striking the exact middle, and two not so far from it.

The second in line was Namjoon, with three in the middle, one close to the middle, and another a little further from them.

The third was Seokjin and fourth, Jungkook.

The crowd who were awe-struck with how graceful the Princes looked during the performance, clapped and cheered at the results.

"His Highnesses are amazing!"

"They make us feel proud to be serving them!"

The Martial Arts Tournament was officially over. The crowd dispersed back to their homes, chanting how amazing the Princes and the royal guards were along the way. The event marked a successful closure, and the jolly ambiance filled the evening city.

While the common people went back home relaxed with the show over, the workers at the palace were shuffling busily. A celebratory feast for the royal guards were prepared, in which nobles were received too.

You were trotting down the corridor with a cloth for a decoration in hand, when you noticed two figures—Taehyung and Namjoon—in the distance. You were hiding behind a wall before you knew it. You so happened to stand at a place far enough for you to go unnoticed, but close enough for hearing their conversation.

"Hyungnim, your archery skills are becoming more phenomenal as years go by," Taehyung said, walking up to Namjoon.

Namjoon chuckled scornfully, "phenomenal? Your sarcasm skills seem to be improving too."

Your heart felt a chill from how cold Namjoon's voice sounded.

It had been a while you were around them, attending every breakfast of theirs, but you never caught a discord between the Princes.

But now as you recalled, you hadn't seen the two communicate in private.

Were they on bad terms? Or was it one-sided hatred?