Chapter 20: "Mother"

Taehyung narrowed his eyes taking a better look at the wide and solid bridge in front of him that reflected the sunshine with its white appearance.

"I am grateful for Your Highness to actually come by," the head of the worker said. "It's all thanks to Your Highnesses two years ago that we are now stable."

Two years ago, Namjoon and Taehyung volunteered to come to the Western State to solve the problem people were facing, which was proposed during the assembly. And the solution was to build this bridge, and things have wound up well.

After having a couple of talks, receiving a recap, also asking if there were any further problems in concern (which were only minor), Taehyung took a leave. Behind him, few workers looked at him walking away.

"The Third Prince is truly grounded."

"Right? Two years ago when I met the Second Prince, I was so intimidated! He gave out the aura of don't talk to me, but the Third Prince was sincere to us."

"Also coming all the way to see the result. He genuinely cares for us!"

There were two types of opinion towards Taehyung: affection due to his birth and disdain due to his birth. It was well known that Taehyung and Jungkook were adopted orphans on the street by the Emperor, and for some, that benevolent act of the Emperor was touching, also making the two adopted men grow familiarity within common people. But for some, that marked as despicably unqualified.

Taehyung wasn't clueless of how lucky he was. That is why he worked twice the amount of others so that he could repay the Emperor's kindness and protect Jungkook. He never once took his situation for granted. Neither did he forget where he came from, and always kept in mind that every single person needs to be treated with respect, no matter the status.

And thus he never once let his title get to him even though he had long been called 'the Third Prince'.

Where he came from—the brothel was where he was standing now.

He wore a black bamboo hat with a curtain around it to hide his identity again, wanting to avoid another clamour from happening.

It all started three years ago, when Taehyung turned sixteen.

It was customary for a prince to show his face in public when he turned sixteen, marking the age of an adult. And as a part of celebration, he was to ride a palanquin and parade through the city.

That day many commoners lined up in the street and cheered Taehyung as he passed by. It was a sunny day where white flower petals that were constantly thrown danced under the sunlight merrily. Taehyung had never experienced such an acceptance before and he couldn't ignore the giddiness he felt.

While everyone was cheerfully celebrating Taehyung and humbly bowing, one woman stared at him who was smiling shyly and waving hands timidly.

"Who is that?" she asked the person nearby.

"Are you not from here? You're very lucky to come today then! We are celebrating our Third Prince's sixteenth birthday."

"Taehyung?"

"Oi, it's disrespectful to call him by his name!"

Woman, confirming that he was the one, curved her cracked lips in a leer.

—Late evening, at the palace

Lady Myungok was walking in the courtyard accompanied by a few maids behind her, when she heard a noise coming from the entrance. She instructed one of the maids to go ask what the noise was about, and the reply she received surprised her.

"Taehyung's mother is here?"

Few hours after the parade, a woman came to the palace claiming she was Taehyung's mother. She desperately explained she was from a brothel in the Western State, and Taehyung was her lost child.

Taehyung and Jungkook being street children was widely known, but Taehyung being born in a brothel was a newly fed information then. The guards tried to chase this suspicious woman away, but it was clear that they were interested in the lowly gossip, asking her few unprofessional questions.

Having encountered the scene, there was no way Lady Myungok would let it slide.

Lady always thought the two new sons were unwanted intruders. To handle Seokjin was more than enough, but adding two more to that? How aggravating.

She was a person who took a pedigree higher, and to call orphans who were begging on the street her family was disgraceful. One thing that had made her feel at ease was that they would never be potential heirs because they were lowly born. And to be born in a brothel? Only adds up to that factor.

"So, tell me, you are Taehyung's mother?"

The Lady invited the woman to the guest room of the palace, also serving her tea.

A woman of around forty, her face painted with thick makeup scrunched up her nose and nodded severely.

"Yes! I gave birth to him but I lost him when he was young...I had never imagined to find him here...!" she covered her face with her sleeve and let out a sorrowful sob.

"Please," the Lady prompted, handing her a freshly white silk handkerchief.

"Your Lady is so kind," sobbed the woman, and received it. The Lady looked at the woman wiping her face with it disgusted, as it turned into trash before her eyes.

But fixing her face with a smile in a flash, she asked gently, "did you come here to take Taehyung back?"

The woman jolted dramatically and squealed, "no no no, Your Lady! Taking Taehyung back to this undeserving mother is just wrong. All I ask for is to see him once, to see him happy."

Truth be told, this woman worked at the same brothel with Taehyung's mother and had seen Taehyung around at that time. She knew Taehyung's mother had died and that he was thrown away too, and it was the least of her concern.

However, every prostitute had 'a best before date', and with no special talent or looks, she had to leave the brothel in her 30s. It was only a coincidence that she, who was roaming around for a daily job, had come around the central city today to have encountered Taehyung.

Even as a young age, Taehyung was a brightly handsome child, and as he had grown, he didn't lose the touch one bit, only way more polished. She still remembered him at the back of her brain, and hearing his background story from bystanders solidified her speculation.

Taehyung would obviously notice she wasn't his mother, but that wasn't a big issue. She only wanted to convince others and probably earn some good worth of money before she leaves, now that her son was a royal member.

The act was purely out of greed, and luckily for her, Taehyung and Jungkook had never spoken about their past, so the truth was kept away.

"Lady Myungok? Have you asked for me?" a door of the guest room opened, welcoming a young fresh figure.

"Good you came, Your Highness. Meet your mother," she waved gracefully at Taehyung to come closer.

A/N:

My poor baby Tae </3

Y'all thought we are done with Tae's background stories? NOPE. This will lead to important factors also as to why Joon is acting that way and etc etc.