Chapter 37: The Sides

He probably should have attempted to persuade him to stay—he was a palace guard after all, and the path he was choosing was rough with heaps and boulders, no one knew if it also had pitfalls he'd fall and never crawl back up. But he could also see that this decision wasn't out of a childish temper from how his clenched fists trembled. Who wasn't scared to cast away the life you used to live, and had no doubt of living? He knew the responsibilities that weighed on his shoulders, and yet he resisted living like a puppet.

He had found the reason to breathe, and the reason wasn't here anymore.

"You are dismissed from your job," he said. "You don't have to come with me anymore."

Hoseok snapped his head up to look at Seokjin, wide eyed. Did he make a mistake? Did he upset Seokjin? The worry swirled in his mind, but all he could see in his master's eyes were compassion.

"You don't have to betray the palace with me. You should live a better and stable life with your sister here."

"Your Highness!"

"I am truly grateful to have had you by my side, Hoseok-ah. I was truly blessed to have met you that day," he smiled, fondly, and dejectedly.

That night when he picked up Hoseok from a street, he never guessed that boy could hold such importance to him. The time they spent together was enough for him to trust the man with everything, and he wished the best of him—exactly why he couldn't let him come along. Seokjin knew very well that the path he decided to take will never be blessed. He deserved that curse, but Hoseok didn't. To wish for him to join him on the damned road was utterly selfish.

Hoseok was in daze. Everything was a whirlwind, he needed time to think, but there was no such thing.

"Lieutenant General Jung," the brazen voice was heard as he was walking in the corridor. It was the General of the first unit, personal guard of the Emperor. Hoseok immediately saluted.

"Come with me, it's an imperial order."

When Hoseok thought life couldn't turn out to be anymore difficult, it proved to be wrong—destiny was probably playing with him.

"His Majesty has resolved that His Highness the Crown Prince will try to escape," started the General, in his room that smelt of masculinity and authority.

"And he has ordered few of his trusted people to forbid him from doing so. However, he also knows that that only saves the risk temporarily. We are to report Roh Dawon's death to His Highness. Only then will he give up on his scheme."

"I-is she dead?" Hoseok gasped, his voice trembling small.

"...No," the General answered, and Hoseok released a breath of relief, only to find another hitch on his throat with his next word. "Not yet. If she refuses to be trapped in the underground cell, then she could be."

"His Majesty has trusted this deed upon me and my unit. He also personally ordered your assistance to help us lead to His Highness' plan as you are the closest figure who could get to that."

His head down, Hoseok's eyes wavered on the cold stone floor. He was asking for him to betray Seokjin.

"This is an imperial order, Lieutenant General Jung. I believe you understand what that means?"

He could only find one answer. "...Yes, at his pleasure."

Hoseok promised Seokjin that he'd help him escape from the palace—and that was the last parting gift he could offer. Seokjin smiled thankfully, and decided to meet Roh Dawon who was currently hiding away, amidst the thick forest, in the upcoming dark moonless night. They'd reconcile finally, and run away to wherever they could.

Which was then reported directly to the General and his unit.

The plan was to stop Seokjin who'd be on his way and capture Roh Dawon before the promised time at the promised place—dead or alive, and if she died by an accident then that wasn't to be accused.

"You have made the right choice Lieutenant General Jung," the General honored. "You might be feeling a little guilty towards His Highness...but you are truly serving the empire and blessing her with a bright future."

Hoseok kneeled on one and bowed deeply. "It's all thanks to the General guiding me to the right path."

A/N:

The beginning of the distortion dun dun dun...

sorry it's kinda short, I'll try to update the next one sooner!