Chapter 41: The Slip

"Hey, beautiful young lady, come have a look!"

The two walking in the busy street without much aim, were called by the street vendor who had placed his merchandise neatly. Although you knew the compliment was a part of his business, you couldn't deny it was pleasing to hear. Succeeding in getting your attention, he started promoting his goods.

"I think this turquoise bangle will suit you. Or what about this hairpin? It's a trend these days," he handed out the said objects in a practiced manner, and your eyes brushed through the colourful feminine accessories until it stopped on one.

The man had sharp eyes and caught your gaze, picking up a jade ring.

"You like this? Yah, you have good eyes, miss! It just arrived today and I tell you, I had a hard time finding this fine-class ring!"

It was a simple circle ring made out of jade, white clouds swimming though the rounded sea of clear forest. Mesmerised, losing a word and staring, the tall man next to you prompted, "Do you want it?"

"What? No!" you instantly shove off the offer, scared that he would start buying everything you have laid your eyes on. And there was a more serious issue than his probably incessant fountain of money.

"Come on miss, when your boyfriend asks, you should just say yes," the vendor laughed.

You gasped at his guess. "He's not my boyfriend!"

"Oh, then your husband? Sorry, my bad," he was taken aback, correcting himself—which was utterly and thoroughly wrong.

"We aren't married." This time, Taehyung replied calmly.

You huffed, trying to calm your flashing cheeks down, wondering how Taehyung looked under those shades of black curtain, hiding his identity. You wished you had one, then you wouldn't have looked so shaken.

"You don't have to hold back," Taehyung turned to you.

"No," you repeated. "Gifting a ring is wrong."

This was a more serious issue; even if he didn't mean anything by the act, him buying the ring for you, and you wearing it was too suggestive. Rings are for lovers, and married couples. You just don't give it to your friend. Yes, a friend, at least you thought you have established that much of a relationship.

Taehyung was silently thinking, his aura said he was clueless.

Why was he so slow?

As if teaching a child, you started explaining slowly and clearly. "Because rings mean a promise between the two, a promise of love. So, unless you're dating or married-"

"Is that so?"

Then you realised—you weren't in the 21st century.

You weren't sure where the culture of wearing rings as a promise came from, but you guessed this time around 700 years ago, rings were only meant for a decoration.

Oh.

"I've never heard of that," Taehyung muttered in question.

"I-I just thought it would be romantic if that was the case," you muttered quickly, signing off the awkwardness with a dry 'haha'.

The black-robed man disguised as a commoner went silent again, giving it a thought. And you weren't willing to give him time to speculate further.

"Hey, let's go see there!"

You pulled the hand tugged on his, headed to a small crowd of people surrounding street performers.

It was an area with a great bustle where there were few performers, some performing magic, some reciting some mysterious stories, some fortune telling (not Yoongi), selling magical stones at doubtful prices, and you recognise a familiar face within.

"It's Jimin!"

You cheered, seeing the familiar sight of Jimin look alike immersed in his contemporary dance, as well as his younger brother collecting money in his hat.

"Jimin? Is that his name?" Taehyung who was pulled by you followed.

"No," you chuckled. "He just looks like an old friend of mine."

Although the man was wearing old, faded clothes, how his arms drawing and arc, his feet swiftly caressing the ground were undoubtedly graceful, almost as if he had no bones—and you told yourself you were going to advise your friend Park Jimin to start learning how to dance. He'd probably suit it.

Busy you were, watching the spectacle before your eyes, absent at the fact that Taehyung was staring at you, repeating what you have just slipped, to himself. "An old friend...?"

A/N:

I'm sorry for the late and short updates, but my work is getting busier and I can hardly find the time to think and write for this book.

I have had the plot in my mind, but they are challenging in execution, writing down in words, which takes more time than my other book.

Again, I'm sorry for that but I hope you understand.