Chapter 61: The Restoration

The news had split the heavy dark cloud with a beam of light.

The war at the Northern border had ended. The casualties were unavoidable, but the numbers were minimised partly because of how Taehyung had handled the matter, relying more on saving people than killing. Largely because of Namjoon, who had persuaded his aunt, who was already doubtful of her brother's doings, and succeeded in leading the majority of Northern armies. The revolts had no choice but to give up, and hence the peace was settled.

"Your Highnesses are back!"

The gong reverberated announcing the return, as the two Princes as well as their armies entered the grand gate of the palace through showering cheers.

"Hyung!" Jungkook didn't hesitate to lounge himself on Taehyung, who had only come down from his horse. "I knew you'd come back alive...Thank you for coming back alive!"

Taehyung chuckled, patting his brother's back. "I would never leave you alone, Jungkook."

Namjoon glanced around the palace, the one that looked quite foreign while it hadn't been long since he was locked up in a room. The palace was filled with cheers and beaming faces. Among them, he noticed the bearded man and a few dark faces concealing themselves behind the meaningless claps, unhappy of the way things had turned out—probably feeling betrayed. His eyes trailed and landed on a familiar face—Jung Hoseok. Hoseok looked back at him, straight into his eyes, then gave a respectful bow. Namjoon could finally exhale in relief.

Among the officials and palace workers that surrounded them, you watched from the distance, feeling a swell in your heart.

He was back.

He was back, alive.

The moment Taehyung looked over at you, all the sounds of cheers and claps receded. You noticed every move of his, from how he raised his left hand to his face, to how he dropped a gentle kiss on his jade ring. His eyes softened, and his lips curved and you felt a stream of wetness run down your cheek.

The noise of cheers and claps from daytime had turned into boisterous chatting and clanking of drinking glasses by night.

Namjoon thought it was quite mad to find himself on the seat of honour, while he was certainly confined in a room as a potential sinner just days ago. Several faces came past him, praising his bravery and wit, and the success in resolving the crisis. The celebratory feast was advancing, and at the back of the hall were the drunk guards who had been guffawing loud enough for heavens to hear. Namjoon had nothing to complain, though, it had been a while since he had heard someone laughing from the bottom of their heart. Although the feast in the hall was smaller, toning down with alcohol and food as they still were in the mourning stage for the loss of the Emperor, people were merry for their peace. And that had reminded him of the last time this had happened; Seokjin and Misun's celebration for their royal baby. That time, he had sat next to Seokjin. Today, the seat next to him was empty. There was no Emperor nor his mother.

"Your Highness."

Another greeting snapped Namjoon out of his thoughts. Holding up his glass for a toast, he looked up.

"Hoseok...."

It was all but pain, regret and guilt that ran through Namjoon with Hoseok in front of him. He didn't know what the man felt towards him. Anger, hatred, injustice? And all was fair.

"Congratulations on your victory, Your Highness," Hoseok smiled, his voice genuine and proud. "His Highness the Crown Prince must be proud of you."

He clanked his glass with the glass in Namjoon's hand lightly, before he bowed and left. As if the last string of nerve had snapped, Namjoon felt a welling in his eyes. He felt like, even if for a fraction, that he was forgiven.

"It's not your fault."

He was too kind. He was too gentle. He was too forgiving.

Hyung, I am truly sorry.

He hoped. He hoped those words would reach the heavens.

"En? Where did hyung go?" Jungkook slurred on his words, alcohol taking control over his system, while surrounded by the guards as per usual in the drinking session.

"He must have been tired, Your Highness," one of them guessed. "He only came back from war."

Jungkook nodded like a doll with a broken neck, and gave up on the thought. He was happy he was back. He hadn't lost another family, and that was all that mattered. He toasted for the umpteenth time of the night, and gulped the drink in content.

Yoongi knew better than to keep himself stuck in the hall. He yet grabbed another bottle of rice wine from the pile on the table, and left in search of the place to enjoy on his own. The Bureau of Astronomy was the first thing that crossed his mind, only to be discarded in an instant.

If Jungkook and the guards didn't know where Taehyung was, he knew, and that he was probably not alone. He didn't have to see it for himself, and tonight, he wanted to give you the space—he was convinced there was no room for a third person on that balcony.

And as right as Yoongi should be, there were two figures on the balcony, almost blended in one.

Taehyung held you tight, and you held back with the same force, making sure he was truly there and not the ghosts you've been seeing of him for the past few days.

"You're back," you mumbled in his chest.

"I am," he whispered in your hair.

"You're back, alive," you confirmed.

"I promised, did I not?"

He pulled away slightly, searching for your left hand. When he found it, he pulled it up and dropped a soft kiss on your ring.

"It was tough," he said, his eyes somber. He laced his left hand around yours, the jade ring securing its place on his just like yours. "But our promise reminded me of you. And that I had to come back no matter what it takes."

You gripped his hand tight. And without a word, both leaned in. The kiss tasted like sea, with your tears wetting your lips. The kiss tasted like home, where he belongs. The kiss tasted like a promise he had kept and never wanted to break.