Chapter 8: The Martial Arts Tournament II

The next pair was Taehyung and Jungkook, but it was nothing like the prior two.

They were fierce.

It was a proper fighting with no humbleness attached. The loud clashing sound of the swords shivered your body, scared that you might see a splash of blood.

However, their intention wasn't to hurt the other, but to have a proper duel—Jungkook was fervent and Taehyung was unreserved. You weren't even an expert but you could see Jungkook relied more on his power while Taehyung relied more on his skills.

The crowds were glued to the rare attraction in front of them, aweing and yelling as a response.

It wasn't until over thirty minutes that the match ended, with Jungkook breaking his opponent's weapon in two.

"I told you to get your own sword, not a random one," Jungkook smirked.

"Not when I know you'll tear it in two," Taehyung scoffed.

The crowd cheered and clapped for the spectacular show, whilst the nobles under the pavilion sighed in amusement.

"Your Majesty's sons are truly formidable!"

"Who could even match those talents!"

"The future of Kwandae is invincible."

"Your Lords are too kind," this time it was Empress Eunjeong quietly replying to the head of the states.

"Your Majesty is too humble!"

After a whole course meal of a show by the Princes, it was now time for the royal guards to have a match. The one who wins will receive a prize from the Emperor and an honor to have a duel with the Crown Prince. Duel, they say, but it was more of an honorary performance, because no guards were to hurt the Crown Prince, and neither were they supposed to win.

The Princes went to take their seats in the Pavilion to watch, but there were only three.

"Where is the Fourth Prince?" you asked Sa Youngmi, a palace maid you grew close.

"He is joining the tournament with the guards," she replied.

Sure enough, you saw Jungkook paired with a man, exchanging swords on the field. Youngmi explained that he was very passionate about the sword fight, and every year he'd join the royal guards' match.

He truly wasn't a normal Prince, was he?

You thought that'd be unfair for the guards because they would be scared of hurting a royal family, but Youngmi said that he was an exception—that any injury caused during this match shouldn't be accused of—and they also were eager to be at the top, grabbing that prize.

The number gradually decreased as the losers left the field, and there were finally two left in the middle. One was Jungkook, and you were impressed at his undoubtful sword skills. The other was a young man, who you had seen before.

"Isn't that His Highness Crown Prince's personal guard?" you nudged Youngmi again.

"Yes, his name is Jung Hoseok, the chief of the second unit. His sword skills are outstanding."

You studied the young man named Hoseok in a black royal guard's robe, fluttering as he moved lightly on his feet.

His eyes were sharp, his expression strict, and every step he took was without a waste. If Jungkook's asset relied on his strength, then Hoseok's asset relied on both strength and finesse. His every move was calculated meticulously, and only making a blow when effective, and for the first time you could clearly see how Jungkook was at a disadvantage.

Hoseok also made sure his blade won't touch the Prince's skin, even for an inch, and who on Earth could do as much as that when you were under a fierce attack?

It wasn't so long before Hoseok struck fiercely on Jungkook's sword, leaving it flying high in the air. It landed very close to the zone of spectators, earning a yelp from them.

"Damn, you're strong!" roared Jungkook, not being able to hide his frustration.

"I beg to differ,Your Highness. This was only because Your Highness had a vicious fight with the Third Prince before, and was at a disadvantage," Hoseok bowed humbly.

Jungkook obviously knew Hoseok was only saving a face for him, and he patted his shoulder, as he left the field.

Taking his seat in the pavilion, he noticed how he was drenched in sweat. He promised he'd go change after watching Seokjin's match, before the archery tournament began.

Hoseok was kneeling with one knee in the middle of the field, humbly waiting for Seokjin, just as the honorary match was to begin.

Seokjin leisurely stood up from his seat, and walked up.

"It's you, huh?" he scoffed lowly. "Is this your way of avenging against me?"

"Never, Your Highness," Hoseok replied, his bowing only getting deeper.

The spectators could see Seokjin looking down at Hoseok kneeling, but they couldn't hear their conversation.

"Alright, I give you permission. Do as you wish. Get up."

Hoseok slowly stood up, and the match began.

It was supposed to be an honorary battle; with only a few exchanges of swords, and the royal guard backing down, accepting defeat as a show, wishing for the prosperity of the dynasty under a strong future Emperor.

However, on the field was the Crown Prince with a deathly glare towards his personal guard, his blow too strong—obviously stronger than the one he struck Namjoon earlier—and you could swear you never saw Seokjin so fierce. He always attained a likable smile on him appearing like a soft-nature person, that you almost felt like this person in your eyes was someone else.

Hoseok on the other hand was only receiving those blows, having no intention to attack whatsoever. And that drove Seokjin more mad, his force growing by a beat.

"Is this all you got? You don't know how to fight back? So much of being the chief of a unit!" Seokjin cursed harshly, never stopping his strikes. Hoseok was silently seizing the attack, their swords clashing violently.

"This isn't what happened that day...that day...you...!!"

Hoseok was a talented swordsman, probably the strongest among the people present, but he was only receiving the attack, and was willing to let Seokjin win. Hence it wasn't long before Seokjin's blade pointed straight into Hoseok's throat.

"Not even trying because you think I'm not your competition, huh?" Seokjin ridiculed, his eyes glinting with flames of hatred.

"Your Highness has misunderstood," Hoseok replied indifferently.

Seokjin laughed scornfully before turning his back sharply, leaving behind a loud clang of the sword he dropped.