Chapter 37: Full In's?

“Come on, ladies!  Point your feet and get your legs straight!  A week off and you can’t even do your running warmup right!” Lizzy screams.  We’re all out of breath and feeling bloated and heavier than usual from all the Christmas cookies and shit, which makes a difficult strength circuit harder than ever.  

“Switch!” 

We sprint to the next station of pit jumps.  In the first block pit we have to walk around in it, which seems easy but it’s really difficult when you keep sinking down.  In the second block pit, which we laid a sting mat over top so we could stand on it, we have to jump up and down.  

We are stationed at each pit for about a minute before switching, and we go to each pit twice.  

Out of breath and gasping for air, we barely stumble to the floor when Lizzy tells us we’re done.  

“Alright, girls.  Since you’ve been out of it for a week, today’s going to be a short strength day.  Get into your groups by level, and we’ll sort you out from there.  Since it’s going into meet season, now we’ll be training in groups according to level.”

We rush to get into our specific groups.  The level 10’s with me are Sam, Emma, Catt, Halli, and Alex.  The other group is level 9.  That’s Laney, Shana, Natalia, Lyndsee, Nancy, and Naomi.  

Lizzy, GG, and Coach Bart are talking in the corner.  

“Level 10’s, start on floor.  You’re working double pikes and full ins into the pit today.  Level 9’s on beam.  Today’s mostly series and dismounts.  Get a quick drink, go to the bathroom, whatever you need to do, and be back out here in 3 minutes.  Go!”  Once again, we sprint to the team room to grab a quick drink.  Some of the level 10’s grab tiger paws for floor.  

When we get to floor, Lizzy and Bart are with us.  GG is on beam with the 9’s. 

“Alright girls, warm up some double backs into the pit then we’re going to work on pikes and full ins.”

I go first, and take 3 steps into a roundoff backhandspring double back.  I sink into cubes and struggle to get out; one of the many downsides to a cube pit.  Sam goes after me, then Catt.  I do about 3 more solid double tucks before going to my coaches for my assignment.  

“Make 3 good double pikes, then do some drills for full ins onto the resi”, Bart says.  Lizzy nods her head in agreement.  She’s been so much nicer lately.  

I get back in line and my first double pike is flat to my face.  I wipe the pit fuzz from my eyes and get back in line behind Halli.  She gives me a dirty look before she goes for her pass which, by the way, lands on her face as well.  I end up making 3/4 good pikes, then go to the other side of the floor for full in drills.  

Our full in drills force us to twist higher in the air, different from just twisting a single flipping layout.  I do a round off back handspring on the floor, but my layout full twist lands on my back onto a raised resi mat.  That way I’m able to do a second flip when it’s time, but only do drills for now.  

I do about 5 or 6 before Lizzy calls me over.  

“Those look good, Mia.  How about trying some into the pit today?”

I nod my head excitedly.  I still haven’t done any full in double backs yet, but my drills have been getting better and better.  

“Just make sure you squeeze tight and do it just like the drills.  They’re looking very good today”.  

I nod my head again and get back in line for the pit, shaking out my nerves while I wait.  As excited as I am to do this new skill, I’m absolutely terrified as well.