Chapter 11: What Now?

I vaguely remember my mom coming to the gym.  She hugs me, saying it’s going to be alright. 

I remember the white ambulance, the flashing lights.

I don’t remember anything after that.

I wake up in a white room white room with lots of machines.  There’s a steady beeping and it takes me a second to realize that’s my heartbeat being monitored. 

I feel okay, but my knee is killing me.  The outside hurts and it’s swollen. 

I take a second to look around the room.  There’s a TV conveniently placed above my bed, two bedside tables, and multiple machines that I couldn’t even guess their uses. 

I’m in a white hospital gown with small, pale blue dots all over it. 

There are voices coming from behind a solid wooden door.  It opens a little, and I see somebody’s face.  They blink, then open the door the rest of the way. 

A young Indian doctor comes through holding a clipboard.  My mom trails behind him.  He looks down at the clipboard and starts asking questions. 

“How are you feeling, Mia?”.  I answer quickly.

“Just tell me what the hell is wrong with me”.  I feel bad immediately but I really do want to know.

My mother gasps.  “Mia!”

“Sorry”, I apologize.  “But please, just tell me”. 

The doctor laughs, and sticks out his hand.  I take it and he introduces himself.

“I’m Dr. Walker, which is a bit ironic seeing as you won’t be able to walk for a while”.  He laughs halfheartedly at his own joke.  “You tore your ACL on that fantastic yurchenko of yours”. 

As bad as I feel about the injury, I immediately take a liking to him. 

“How do you know what a yurchenko is”, I blurt out before I even take in that I tore my ACL. 

He grins again.  “I did gymnastics in college.  I went to PSU”. 

“Nice”, I say.  “Wait where you one of those guys that did that tsuk double?”, I ask excitedly. 

“Well, yes.  Typical gymnast I’ve got right here”, he laughs, looking at my mom.  I love his lighthearted attitude.  It makes my injury seem less daunting.  “That’s also how I tore my own ACL in highschool”. 

And back to reality. 

“I’ll let you get some more rest, then we’ll discuss treatment”.