Chapter 35

“We’ve been thinking more into this elite gymastics thing”.  My mom looks like she’s trying to hold in a secret.  I silently cross my fingers in my lap.  

“I know your coach…what’s his name again?”

“Ba-“, I start, but she cuts me off.

“Never mind.  But he contacted me last night to tell me that you’re competing level 10 this season.  Is this true?”

I look to my mom and my dad, who is sitting beside her, and nod my head vigorously.  In truth, this is the first I’ve heard of competing 10 this season, but if that’s going to allow me to be elite, then I’ll roll with it.  As they say, fake it till you make it.

My parents look at eachother.

“Well, if you’re willing to put in the hours and make the sacrifices, I suppose we wouldn’t be very good parents if we didn’t allow you to at least try elite.  If that’s still what you want”.  

I could have cried I was so happy.  I couldn’t believe it - finally!  I squealed and hugged both my parents tightly. 

“Thank you thank you thank you!”

I ran upstairs to my room before they could change their minds.  My laptop is laying out on my desk and I log in, my fingers flying over the back-lit keyboard of my Macbook Air.  Gymnastike is already pulled up on my home screen and I spend the whole night watching training videos of the elites.  My whole body shakes - I could be like that.

~~~

The worst thing about Saturday morning practices are waking up at 5 in the morning.  

With my eyes foggy from waking up so early, I make my way to my closet.  All 27 of my leotards are hanging up on the right, and my yoga pants and running clothes are on the bottom rack.  I grab a neon green and white Adidas leo and put it on under my running capris, only half pulled up.  I pull an IGC t-shirt over my head and throw a sweatshirt on top of that.  My brush flies through my hair and I pull it up into a sloppy bun.  My hair is almost waist-length, and it’s such a pain for practice.  

When I get downstairs, my mom has eggs on the table, still steaming, and a cup of fruit salad next to them.  She’s putting together peanut butter toast for a boost of protein.  

I sit down with my phone in one hand and a fork in the other.  My headphones are dangling from my phone to my ears.  I feel bad shutting out my mom like that this morning, but I need to focus.  I know Coach Bart was bullshitting about level 10 this year to get my parents to agree to elite training, but I need to show him I’m up for the challenge.  

I turn on Hall of Fame to get myself into the mood.  I can do this.  I will do this.  

I think one of the most motivating things is when somebody tells you you can’t.  To me, it’s a challenge.  And I’m never one to turn down a challenge.  

~~~

“Ladies, get into groups”, Lizzy yells.  Her baby is crying in her arms, and she’s gently rocking it.  She’s changed a lot since she’s had Maggie.  It’s been great - she’s so receptive to when you’re having a bad practice now.  

I stand with the rest of the 9’s and 10’s. We are starting on vault today.

Bart is coaching us on vault.  We get in line at the end of the runway.  We all compete yurchenko vaults.  To warm up, Bart put a mat stack behind the vault, so we do timers to our back.  After five or six of these, we start flipping.  I warmup with a few tucks and pikes before moving on to layouts.  My goal is to get a full before competition season begins, in January.  

After a particularly good layout, Bart pulls me to the side.  

“So what did your parents say?”

“They said that they are more than willing to give me the opportunity to go elite!” Okay, maybe I embellished a bit.  But you know what they say; fake it till you make it. 

“Great.  So you’re good with competing 10 this season?”. I nod my head.  “Alright, let’s get started then.”

I jump back in line behind Catt.  This time, I’m doing a full.  

Okay guys, so, I'm now editing and revising my book starting at the beginning!  So, I wouldn't recommend reading it now, but I'll tell you when you feel free to start over! I promise it'll be better the second time around;) 

As for now, please remember to comment, vote, and share my story!  Thanks for 53,000!