Chapter 14: First Day of PT

Today was my first day of PT.  I had been “in recovery” for almost a week before I insisted on starting PT a day early.  I just couldn’t stand the thought of another day in that bed. 

Dr. Walker walks in with a new blue clipboard. 

“You got a new clipboard”, I comment. 

“Yeah.  You ready to start?”.  I nod my head vigorously.  Was I ever!

“Okay, so this is going to hurt to start”.  I roll my eyes.  I’ve felt pain before.  I could deal. 

“So the first thing we’re going to start with is straightening and bending your knee”. 

I pull down the covers to see that somebody changed my hospital gown for yoga pants and a tee. 

I start to pull my legs over the side when Dr. Walker stops me. 

“Don’t get ahead of yourself here.  You’re not ready to put any weight on that leg yet”. 

“Are you serious?”.  I can feel my frustration rising. 

“Deadly”, he says.  “Now put down your legs and try to straighten them.  Don’t point your toes; that will hurt”.  I relax my feet and try to straighten my legs.  My left leg is fine.  My right leg won’t go down. 

“It won’t straighten”, I say.  Reaching forwards, I try to push down my knee. 

“Owww”, I grimace.  Sucking air between my teeth, I try again. 

“Told you”, Dr. Walker says. 

We spend the rest of the day just straightening and bending my legs.  Literally.  All day. 

I woke up the next day sore and ready to start again.