Chapter 25: Dad's Home

I stood at the top of the stairs for seconds before I collapsed to my knees.

My dad was home...he's actually home.

He was fighting in Iraq. He was reported MIA three years ago.

My mom convinced me he was dead.

I'm on my knees, shaking. I look down at my hands. I can feel the tears, I just don't know why they're coming.

Everything's in a haze. I feel like I'm watching myself go through the movements in slow motion.

I watch myself walk down the stairs. I'm taking deep breaths. I turn the foyer and walk into the kitchen. He's standing, in uniform, at the kitchen counter.

My mom had tears streaming down her face. I stood there, looking at them. My father had her in his arms, and she had draped her body over his. She was sobbing, and I could tell he was crying too.

My mom looks up from his shoulder and sees me standing there.

"Oh, Mia hon", she cries.

My dad stands up and wipes the tears from his eyes. He walks over to me, arms open.

"I'm home", he cry-laughs. I smile and lean into him. He smells like cologne and fabric softener. I start to cry into his shoulder, and he gently rubs my back.

My mom comes over and says something into his ear.

He leans out of the embrace.

"I'm going to take a shower", he says. His voice gentle but gritty, like worn sandpaper. He turns up the stairs, taking each one slowly.

My mom starts fixing dinner. She doesn't say a word to me.

Shortly after, my dad comes down dressed in sweats and a worn tshirt. We sit down for dinner.

It's quiet. Too quiet. Besides the sound if the knives scraping against the ceramic plates.

As soon as everybody is finished, I clear away the dishes. My mom turns on the TV, and we all sit down on the couch.

I don't want it to be like this. It's too awkward. He's been gone for 10 years; I barely remember him.

I go upstairs to my room even though it's only 8. I can't stand the awkwardness. The last time I look at the clock, it says 9:29.

My alarm starts buzzing. 6:20, just enough time to get ready for school.

I sit up and go to my bathroom. I brush my teeth quickly; I just got my braces off yesterday.

My closet houses many shirts. I pick out a pair of jean shorts and a tank top with a cardigan. After all, there are only a few days till summer.

I sit down at my makeup desk and put on some benefit eyeshadow. My mascara is cover girl lashblast. I apply some light blush from BareMinerals and curl my hair. It's 7:00 when I grab my breakfast and walk out the door in my sperries. This is going to be a long day.