Part 41 - Smart SCP-191 x SCP-053

SCP-191's POV:
Every day, scientists in this facility would put me to different tests, to fully understand my abilities. Luckily, most of these tests weren't painful for me, but there was one scientist, who would always torture me just to check, how resistant to pain I really am, and during the third test it backfired on him. One of my nerves got scratched and my sharp, metalic parts accidentally hit his throat, which caused his decapitation.

At the beginning I thought, that I will get terminated for that, but guards said, that everyone in the facility hated this jerk and they wanted to get rid of him anyway, so they weren't mad at me, but to help me with my mental state after this incident, they tried to amnesticate me.

Sadly, normal amnestics didn't work on me, so they have tried to show me a memetic hazard, which would affect the brain and make me forget about all of that. However, instead of using a hazard, which would remove my memories, they have used a different one, which was supposed to be an experimental way of increasing somebody's IQ level and knowledge from all subjects by even 300%.

A disadvantage was a 15% risk of brain death, which luckily didn't occur when they have shown that to me. However, it didn't stop the director of this place from screaming at the scientists responsible for that for over an hour and forcing them to watch a tape of dr Bright's "extensive testing" with SCP-1471 as a punishment.

Few days after this incident, they have decided to send me to SCP-053 to entertain her. They already knew, that we SCPs are resistant to one another's memetic effects and that we like to spend time together. After being escorted by guards to her cell, they have opened it and I have stepped inside.

053 was sitting in a Maths book and solving pylonomials, but she got excited when she saw me in her cell.

053: 191? They allowed you to come here?

191: They said that I am supposed to entertain you, I hope that this is not a problem.

053: Absolutely not, but I have a problem with those pylonomials, because I cannot find a way how to solve them in this book, could you help me?

191: Give me an example.

053: X^4 - 2X^3 - 13X^2 + 14X + 24 = 0.

191: Okay, this will be an easy one. You have to find all positive and negative dividers of the last number, and then divide all of them by dividers of the first number. Since the first number is X^4, the only possibilities for it are 1 and -1.

053: And for 24 it will be +/-1, +/-2, +/-3, +/-4, +/-6, +/-8, +/-12 or +/-24, is that correct?

191: It is indeed, and since there are only ones in the first number, then we are going to check all dividers of 24.

053: How are we supposed to do this?

191: Put X=1 to the solution and check, if it is true.

053 made quick calculations and said:

053: 22 = 0, something is wrong.

191: So it doesn't fit, try with X=-1.

She looked at the equation again and after few seconds smiled.

053: 0 = 0, now it is true.

191: So X = -1 is a solution, now we have to divide the entire pylonomial by (X+1), I will show you how.

I have shown her a division of pylonomials and after 20 seconds we got a result of X^3 - 3X^2 - 10X + 24 = 0

053: And now we have to do it again?

191: Yes, since X = 1 didn't work, we can exclude it from this one too, try negative 1 again.

She calculated everything in her head and said:

053: It is not true, we have to try something else.

191: Try X=2 then.

She wrote something with her pencil and exclaimed, that this is another solution, and quickly went to solving it, while I have grabbed a cup of cold water and drank it. Few seconds later she said, that she got a solution of X^2 - X - 12 = 0, so she factored it out to (X+3)×(X-4) = 0, which gives another two solutions of X=-3 and X=4. I smiled widely and gave her another pylonomial, which she has solved within two minutes.

I have spent with her over four hours before guards told me that I have to go back to my cell. I said goodbye to 053 and allowed them to escort me. During our way to my containment chamber I was talking with guards about what we were doing, but they weren't interested in talking about Maths. When I got back, I liwd on my bed and started thinking about what happened in there. This was the first time in my life, when I truly understood Maths and I could say without any hesitation, that it can be pretty fun if you understand it.

But no matter how good you are at it, it was, is and will always be a dark sorcery.