22. A Gauche Dinner

(Gauche - Awkward when dealing with people, and often doing or saying something wrong.)

***

Well, my assumption of the new girl was obviously wrong. She proved it so as she entered the restaurant with Bria, glued to her side. Now that I looked at them as a pair of friends, best friends, as Bria put it, I couldn't see any possibility of them getting so close in such a short amount of time. It must have all been too fleeting, for Bria to cope up with her shock, and meet another stranger who would also spark some doubts and tension in her.

But she had blissfully ignored all of those doubts she used to normally have, and declared Sofia as her ride or die, her only true friend in years. I get that she was incredibly excited to do this with someone who wasn't a guy, unlike her brother and I, but I still found it odd. I set a reminder in my brain to talk to her about it later.

The restaurant I had invited them to was a French one, as I was tired of eating Italian all day, everyday. I wanted a nice, classy change and chose this one on an impulse. I was the only one on time, being only two minutes early than 8 pm. Since it was my first time in this particular place, I looked around with a cursory glance, just making sure it wouldn't mess with my reputation. The interior was indeed, tasteful and fulfilled my name very well, with it's dark tones of furniture and dim lights all over. It was more suited for a romantic night out, though, but since I wouldn't ever have a proper girlfriend, I decided it would just satisfy my culinary desires.

As they neared my table, I looked at Bria, who looked stunning as always in a dark red cocktail dress, and then turned my gaze to assess Sofia. The soft, silent friend was adorned in an almost identical black dress, but her's wasn't sequined. I would never comprehend the deal with women and the scores of dresses they owned, and therefore, did not bother to distinguish each of the different variety of dresses women wore all the time. It was just a garment to me, like a piece of shirt and pants that men wore - just a necessity.

I stood up to greet them, out if respect. I didn't exactly care about what Sofia would think of me, but only did it because she had my respect for befriending Bria and keeping her safe. No matter how odd or unfit she was for me, I would still be a gentlemanly to her.

"Good evening ladies, you both look beautiful, but are ten minutes late."

I hugged them both lightly, pointing out that I was slightly miffed for having to wait another ten minutes for them to come. While, I was certain Luca was gonna have a earful from me once he finally arrived. That man had such a poor sense of time, and if by chance, he found a beauty somewhere, there was no way he could be punctual.

"Bria, Sofia, we should start to order for ourselves, because if we keep waiting for that dipshit to arrive, I will lose my appetite."

I told them, before signaling for the waiter to bring the food menu.

While Sofia, who was seated opposite from me, looked confused and a little lost, Bria completely stilled. That made me smirk in success and I stayed perfectly calm as I waited for her outburst.

"What?! How could you call my brother here too? You know he won't leave me alive. How could you do this to me?"

She was perturbed outright, and there was nothing more enjoyable than that.

"I'm only doing what is the inevitable. You can't evade him forever, and he is bound to know about your little escapades and adventures. Although, if I'm here, and is Sofia is here, he would be a little less harsh on you."

That only made her grit her teeth with annoyance while I held back another smile. Her friend, on the other hand, looked so lost and definitely couldn't keep up with our conversation. After a moment, Bria spoke up again,

"I can't believe you're going to embarrass me in front of Sofia, that too at the hands of my brother. But I'm gonna come back, and this won't be the end of it."

"We'll see about that,"

I told her haughtily.

Turns out that Luca wasn't just late, but he was extremely late. It had already been thirty minutes since everyone was seated on the table, and we talked about a lot of things. Well, mostly only Bria talked, like the unstoppable machine that she was, and Sofia and I just listened to her. The food was also extremely scrumptious and according to my taste, and so I mentally added this one to my favourites, in case I had to hold a meeting with some of my business partners.

After we had completed with our appetizers, and I had downed two flutes of champagne, Luca entered, looking slightly dishevelled and disoriented. At first, it alarmed me and I thought that he had been in danger, but as I looked into his eyes and saw that unmistakable sparkle in them, I realized just what he had been doing before turning up to this dinner.

What did I even expect? This manwhore would never mend his ways.

Both the girls' back was towards the entrance, so they didn't realize when he entered the place, and were still preoccupied with ordering the main course. As Luca met my eyes, and then looked at the back of their heads, he joined two and two and grinned at me. This idiota was thinking I had finally gone on a date with a girl while also setting him up with another one, but the surprise that was awaiting him made me smile slightly more.

His enthusiasm couldn't be contained when he exclaimed as soon as he reached us.

"Good evening beautiful ladies, and my stupid best friend! To what do I owe the pleasure of dining with two stunning ladies?"

The table felt silent, the earlier whispers decreasing to zilch as soon as his voice was heard. While one visage was full of puzzles and compassion, another was full of dread.

"Luca, you might wanna come around, and sit in your seat before you get so excited."

He did as I told him, still a bit bemused. And when he did, he shouted for the whole restaurant to hear,

"WHAT THE FUCK?!!"

--------------------------------------------