33. The Truth

As soon as the bell sounded, We both looked at each other in panic, and Luca moved to hide somewhere but I stopped him. "Don't hide. Just do what you always do."

He grinned at me and said, "Ok then. Its showtime!!"

He took a seat on of my chairs comfortably, while I opened the door to reveal the anticipated person - Sophia Gold. She shined like her name today as well, donning a pair of denims and a halter neck, fitted black top with... heels?

My confusion must be clearly seen on my visage as she was about to pull me in for a hug but stopped. "What's wrong, baby? Do you not like my outfit?"

I hesitated in saying the correct answer, but then I stopped myself and thought about why I should shy away from saying the truth. She wasn't even sincere towards me, and I never wanted to be with a girl like her, so there wasn't any reason for me to hold back.

"Not really, but we're going on a trip, so I thought you would wanna be a tad bit more comfortable," I said in my usual nonchalant tone, which made her narrow her eyes at me.

That was a first in our relationship, as she had always portrayed herself like a saint - shy and so incredibly cowardly. But now that I wasn't looking, she seemed to have quite a problem with me. I smirked inwardly, thanking Luca for arriving at the perfect time to clear my doubts and turn them into facts. She wasn't one to be trusted, and even if I was a bit late in realizing this, she won't ever get away with fooling me. It was honestly better to be late than never.

"Come in, we'll go in a few minutes."

As she stepped inside, she froze looking at Luca. And then, she turned to look at me with wide eyes and a nearly pale face. I saw him smirking from behind her, and I found it really hard to suppress my triumphant smile. This woman was falling in our trap without us even having to do anything.

"Baby, why... why is he here?" She asked me with a tone that made me wanna grit my teeth and rip off all her blonde hair, but I miraculously resisted.

Luca, knowing how livid I must be right now, stepped forward for me. "Aww, you don't wanna see me? That hurt a lot, Soph. After all that we've been through, how could you do this to me?!"

She just looked at him in confusion and a hint of fear, but he chuckled and said, "Relax baby, you'll be alone together because I'm gonna go now. Thanks man, for letting me stay the night. Have a fun trip, you two!"

As he closed the door behind him, she released a sigh of relief. "Are you okay? Why did you look so scared to see him?"

"No, I wasn't... scared. I just thought for a second that he too was going to accompany us, and this was supposed to be a private trip, so.. I guess I got a little scared." She laughed it off perfectly.

Seeing that, it suddenly came to mind, just how many times did she evade answering honestly? How much information did she dig up about me from Bria? How deep was I in this? But this was no time to ponder about that, this was the time to face everything that comes forth.

Shortly after, we took off in her car to the secret destination. Both of our pretenses were going perfectly well, as we sang songs, ate and talked and laughed like crazy. It almost felt real until I spotted a very familiar car tailing us. My smile faltered and I could, for the very first time, comprehend why I wasn't fit for relationships. This girl, sitting beside me was the proof. These kind of girls were the only ones I could get, and if I was really lucky, maybe one of them won't have another mafia head on their back. But this was what it essentially boiled down to – that I was incapable of meeting a girl who could meet my standards, and still give me all the love and affection I've been yearning for all these years. And a combination like that was impossible, so instead of losing myself in impossible daydreaming, I focused on the task at hand.

I sneakily opened my phone and messaged the person tailing me,

"Stay inconspicuous, Luca. She's smarter than she looks, and anything could result in our failure. Good luck."

"Good luck."

Except this good luck wasn't a sign that we were actually wishing each other, it was a call for danger ahead.

As the road we had taken, only had a dilapidated factory that was burnt and destroyed years ago.

This, this was the ugly truth of Sophia Gold, that I discovered far too late.