12. Chance

(Luca's Pov)

As I climbed up the steps hurriedly to reach my sister, my worries kept on increasing. My brain was forming a tower of them in my head, while my ire was threatening to break through my blood and flesh. I must have thought of all the atrocious, nefarious and sinister things that have ever been done to people in the history of the world, and wished to rain them upon Roberto Alfonsi.

Soon, I reached the desired floor and wished fervently that my little Bria was still safe and had been protected. I was fully aware that Marco was hiding in the closet but I, being the elder brother, was still worried and anxious. I might not show my affection for Bria openly, but she and Tiger were the only two people I have the privilege to call mine, in this whole wide universe.

It was sickening to come to terms with the fact that this bastard was still the same - avaricious, lustful, and absolutely brazen. More than an era had passed, hundreds of changes in the surroundings had been witnessed, yet he still remained there, unwavering and still so damn revolting.

As I reached the turning of the wall which gave way to the rooms, I equipped my hands with my most trusted gun and hid to make sure I was the only one in the area. I had seen all of his guards had obviously followed him all the way up, but I wished they weren't guarding the door, because then that meant it was about to get lengthy and messier than before.

I sneakily poked my head out and quickly retracted it back into the safety of the wall after confirming my suspicion. Two guards were guarding the door, standing erect and not seeming to budge from the door anytime soon. I thought of a plan as speedily as I could and decided that simplicity was the key in this one.

I hurriedly put the gun back in my waistband, and pretending to be a drunk man returning to his room, I stumbled out into the hallway and in plain sight of the guards. Their attention was immediately on me as they got a tad bit more alert and their backs got straighter.

'Step one of my plan had worked.' I thought as I smirked inwardly.

I kept on the act of stumbling while I kept mumbling incoherent words to myself, once in a short while lifting my head up stealthily to glance at the men who had their attention on me and on the door of their master. They were still apprehensive of me and thought that I could harm their boss in some way - and they weren't exactly wrong.

I finally reached them and in my seemingly inebriated state, I feigned ignorance as I looked up to meet their eyes.

"Oh, look at who we have here? My new friends!!"

I exclaimed as I wound my arms around their necks at the same time and pulled them towards me for an elaborate and dramatic embrace - one which is reserved only for soulmates.

It was a blessing in disguise for me that I had the ability to be as dramatic as I could. This quality which was meant to draw attention towards any individual, surprisingly had completely opposite effects on me, as I always threw attention from myself onto other objects and became utterly innocent whenever I donned a role from my drama book.

"What the hell man?! Who the hell are you and-"

One of the guards started protesting as soon as he came back to his senses and realized that he was in my arms, but alas! he couldn't complete his complaint.

It was so because I had already removed the small knife I had strapped inside my shirt sleeve, and struck it right into the flesh on the back of his neck - the most vulnerable and imperative part of the human body. Blood oozed out of the ruthless wound like a river and soon reached the floor, giving the polished and decent white color a nasty red coating.

The second guard got alerted after sensing that his mate wasn't responding and his eyes widened the moment he looked down on the ground and saw that his shoes were colored crimson from the blood of his friend.

"You bastard!!-"

He too started cursing me while he swung his fist at me.

I expertly dodged it and quickly moved to his left as that I could avoid getting the blood on my boots. It was a big hassle to get it off once it stained anything, and it would also make the ground I walk or run on, really sticky. And so, rule number thirteen in the rule book of The WildCats advised and ordered the members strictly to avoid getting blood on their boots under any circumstances.

While I fought with the burly bodyguard in front of me, and as I was on the verge of defeating him and stabbing him in a crucial place, I heard the shrill cry of a female that came from inside the room he was guarding.

It definitely belonged to Bria, and she was definitely in pain, judging by the intensity of the shriek. I couldn't believe I had just wasted so much time thinking and following my strategies while my sister was still in there fighting for her life and dignity. I didn't even want to imagine the extent to which Roberto could go, to make people quake in their boots and fear him. He could do anything just to feel that gratification that he felt whenever he saw absolute terror in anyone's innocent orbs.

I momentarily became distracted by the screams coming from behind the door, and failed to sense someone else's presence behind me, ready to strike its enemy ruthlessly, just as I had. As soon as I returned my gaze to the man in front of me and caught him smirking, I knew that I messed up for real this time.

Almost instantly, a knife similar to the one I held in my hand was rammed into my right thigh, making me grunt loudly in pain, while a heavy object was knocked into my head from both the sides, making me slowly lose my consciousness. The pain from both the wounds became unbearable as I still tried to reach the door with my outstretched hand, wishing that the door's handle would come closer to me and make this easy for me.

But obviously, that was impossible. In an attempt to reach the door, I lost my balance and fell to the ground in an unconscious heap while the other four guards stepped over my limp body to stand in front of the door again, letting the injured one go to tend to his wounds and clean the mess made on the floor.

In the last speck of light that I could see and sounds I could hear, the last thing I heard was a gunshot and the last thing I saw was the hurried footsteps of the guards as they finally opened the damn door, rushing inside. My mind was too tired and wound up to realize the gravity of the situation. I finally closed my eyes thinking of only one thing -

God really shouldn't have created a thing called emotions, because they destroy you.

--------------------------------------------