32. Scepticism

"What are you doing here at... eight in the morning? Can you even wake up at this hour?" I barked out at him, not in the mood to see anyone's face right now.

"Why? Am I not human?" He asks me dramatically, to which I replied dryly, "Nah, I think a dog suits your description better."

"Oh my! The disrespect! But you still need to get ready for your first trip with Sophia, and no one can help you except me," He replied smugly, to which I scoffed again.

"You wanna help me for a trip thats happening at two o'clock from eight a.m.? You're crazy Luca. Go away, I can do this myself."

So the thing here was, that Sophia apparently planned a trip for the both of us, and hadn't yet told me about it. It was going to be a two day trip, and ever since Luca has known about this, he's been going crazy. As if it was such a peculiar thing to do.

"Why are you so ungrateful? You don't even hide your pin code from me so I think it's safe for me to come and go as I please. Now why are you getting angry when I actually did that?"

"I think you're more excited for this trip than I am. But I'm only going because I have a personal agenda. I don't know why, but something seems off about this girl. She has, on many accounts, tried to get as close to me as possible. Close enough to ask me about work and the amount of profit I earn from them. Maybe she's just after my money, but my instinct tells me otherwise."

As I told him my deepest doubts, the smile from his visage vanished in the twinkling of an eye. The atmosphere crackled with tension, as I was afraid he would be mad at my previously silent behaviour. But, the unexpected came out from his mouth,

"So, you know after all. Thank God you haven't become a woman-crazed maniac. Now that you know, I've no reason to stop you from going, but we need to discuss some other things before you leave."

To say that I hadn't expected such words out of his mouth would be an understatement. How did he already understand her? Did someone tell him? But nobody knew about this at all. My bemused face must have been too visible as he answered my unasked question with a smirk,

"You think I'd be naive enough to think that someone sneaking into your study when you're not there would be just out of curiosity? I was there that day, when you both were having an argument, and I instantly knew what was the issue with her. That one little thing that was amiss about her. The one thing you've been wanting to know since forever. This girl is definitely working for one of these three gangs who so desperately want your head."

I nodded in agreement, letting the rest of the puzzle fall into its place quietly. "Maybe this is why she was so incredibly quiet or shy, she was trying to throw us off guard. Too bad our capabilities have been undermined yet again. But, we can't let our act blow up so early, can we now?" I asked him rhetorically, both of us sporting wild, mischievous smiles on our faces.

In that moment, we must have both come off as total maniacs, but that was our dynamic. Since we have always been together, its a walk in the park to read each other's thoughts and to work alongside each other. We don't even need words to communicate. And this is exactly what has happened right now. I had given him the inkling, and I knew he would follow my orders with absolute perfection.

"I'll update and activate the tracker on my phone. This way, I will know of your whereabouts at all times. Also, I think we shouldn't tell Bria about this yet, she's too weak to listen to something like this."

"Yeah, I too, wasn't planning on divulging it to her. Let's keep her out of the loop for now, and focus on the main issue. If we are right, she definitely has a reason to drive me to the outskirts of the city. Maybe they're planning to catch me alone and off guard, so that they can dispose of me in the easiest way."

"That's exactly what they're thinking. Bloody bastards," He cursed loudly, and just after that, the sound of the bell reverberated throughout.

We both looked at each other in panic, and Luca moved to hide somewhere but I stopped him. "Don't hide. Just do what you always do."

He grinned at me when I said this,

"Ok then. Its showtime!!"