38. Reunion

Two weeks later, I was standing in front of the mirror yet again, getting ready for the first party of the year. I had managed to stay under the radar for weeks now, because everyone in the mafia circle thought Tiger King was dead. Not many would believe the story of me getting accidentally burned to death, but they did believe that I wasn't here anymore. Luca had been instated as the temporary head of The WildCats, while I rested and gave orders from home.

The party I was to attend, was being hosted by Arnold Adams this year. The Annual Mafia Ball was hosted every year by different hosts across the world, and it was a place for laughs as well as deaths. The amount of guarded men you would see on this day surpassed the count of men I would come across all year long. But it was still the most prestigious event for the folks, and no one wishing to expand their business would ignore or evade such an invitation. It was a matter of honor for newbies to be included in here, so every year, we met novel friends and enemies alike. It was a relief, as well as a headache, but this year, I would be there to give a headache to all those who conspired against me, or were thinking of it.

Resting my hands on the bathroom counter, I stared into the mirror, my more aggressive self staring right back at me. My eyes slowly wandered downwards until they caught sight of my torso, half of which was previously covered in second degree burns, had now been replaced by a huge tattoo of the animal, tiger. Once I recovered fully in the hospital, and was brought back home, it became a matter of embarrassment for me whenever I thought of Roberto's plan. He had played me so effectively until the last moment, whereas from my experience, I should have uncovered their plans long, long ago.

Soon, this embarrassment turned into something more primal, something more perilous. I became angrier and moodier than usual, to the point where I couldn't have a single conversation with someone without lashing out at them. No matter who was in front of me – Luca, Paul, Bria, or my mamma – I would go crazy. It was as if I had become more broken and depressed than before. It felt as if there really wasn't any way to take him down, and that I had failed my father.

These feelings didn't let me sleep at night, but gradually, with the help of my familia, I was able to get back into business which took my mind off of things, and I was also able to get back the control I had over my mind, body and emotions. Once my life was mine again, I pledged for his downfall once again, because even if I had forgotten it for a brief moment, I was never the one to give up.

Removing my towel, I quickly changed into my first formals of the year. It felt kind of weird to wear something I haven't even touched in the last six months, but it was still familiar to me, and donning a suit gave me a little bit more confidence and authority. Gelling my hair back, and taking one final look in the mirror, I stepped out. It was now time to see the other's jaws on the floor.

I would have been nervous about what to say or do, but the Marino siblings' constant bickering kept me occupied with their shitty comebacks. For once, I was interested in what they do, and they planned on taking full advantage of that.

Once we reached the grand venue, I naturally took lead, the siblings falling behind me. The guards at the gate too seemed to be Arnold's men, and they became pale as they saw me approach. They mustn't have expected Tiger King to come back alive, and the trembling of their hands as they checked my name on the pass told me they thought they were dead tonight. But I knew Arnold wasn't in the same league as Roberto. Sure, they were both mafia, but they were heaven and hell apart.

Entering the hall, I felt numerous eyes on me, and heard collective gasps across the room. But after a quick scan, I learned that the man I had been waiting for had still not arrived. I was fine with that too, as it gave me time to re-establish my authority in the circle. I met Arnold, his friend, Vincenzo and a lot others in the meantime, when the door opened again. Thinking that it would be the one I was waiting for, I turned around to take a look, but what I saw completely threw me off guard.

There came in two beauties, one of which looked extremely familiar, and were accompanied by Arnold's wife, Bianca. It was certain that none of them had a single gene of the old man, so what was their relationship. I thought long and hard until I remembered something about him adopting a daughter. The one who walked in the front had a natural air of dominance and authority around her. As she took long strides in her six inch heels, I became more and more bewitched by her long and thick curly brown hair, sparkling brown eyes, and a countenance which could be easily mistaken as innocent, but I could see it in her eyes. Her eyes told me that she was deadly, absolutely fatal.

And then, her eyes met mine. She cocked her head to the side to examine me more, and that's when I had a sudden memory. She was the same girl I had met years ago in Canada. While on a business trip, I had found myself drowning in my sorrows and alcohol one evening, when she had joined me and stared at me like she wanted to hook up with me. The conversation that followed wasn't any I had ever had with a girl before, and her amazing and quick wit had taken me aback even then.

But to think that she was the mafia's adopted daughter, and not the innocent stranger I met accidentally threw me off guard. This girl screamed danger, was already an enigma, and had my attention even without asking for it. I kept looking at her intensely and raised my lips a little, giving her a smirk and the shock of her life as her eyes widened in recognition. My grin widened too, as I couldn't stop myself from going to her and initiating a conversation.

But by agenda was stopped, yet again, by someone entering the door. This time, my guess was finally right. The Devil himself had appeared. All eyes were on him, as he greeted the host and a couple others, but one gaze was the hardest, the most hostile. Hers. It seemed she too had something to settle with him, hence couldn't keep the glare away.

She kept her posture straight and confident, and waited for him to take a turn and notice her, but I couldn't let her take the main spotlight tonight. Tonight, my mission was to tell everyone present that I was the true owner of my gang, the true descendant of my dad, and that just anyone can't come in and kill me.

And so, just when he was about to notice her, I shouted, successfully catching his attention,

"Long time, no see friend."