8. Off We Go

"Amalfi Coast?"

I knew I was going to have to explain in more detail when I saw how the two words, Amalfi Coast registered in his mind.

"We finally found him."

I said, waiting for his reaction with a bated breath.

And the reaction did come.

"So he has been hiding there all this time."

He said, his jaw clenched tightly and eyes hazy with old, painful memories.

"Apparently, he was living there even before the incident, he just covered up his tracks too well."

I told him, equally worked up as him.

This conversation in itself was a very difficult one to have, but at the same time, it was an awfully indispensable one too. The reason it was so imperative is that this man is connected to both of our past, and future. He is the kind of monster, which once clings to you, will not leave you till the day there is not even a shadow left of yours.

He will devour you whole.

"Figures. At that time, we weren't at our best, and he was still flourishing, even better than before. Still can't believe that bastard had everything planned out so well and in a detailed way."

He started muttering the last sentence to himself, still feeling guilty about what happened after all these years.

He just doesn't understand that I wouldn't ever doubt him in the slightest. This is a fight in which I could also pay with my life, and I wasn't going to be so reckless in choosing who should stand beside me.

I know who all belong beside me, and trust them blindly.

"Anyway, I just came to tell you that for the few days I will be gone, you should take over the business. You don't have to go to the hotel however, as I've given detailed instructions to my employees."

I told him, quickly cutting to the important part of the conversation as I realized I don't have much time left until the plane takes off.

"Wait - you want me to sit here like a fucking coward and let you do all the work? And you won't even let me see his face one last time before he dies?"

He was so flabbergasted by my words, as if he never expected me to say that.

"I'm sorry Paul. No hard feelings, but I really can't take all of us there. Someone has to stay back and give strength to our base. You know what I mean right?"

I said, not wanting to disappoint him.

"I know, I know, but it's still so fucking unfair. I really wanted to see his unlucky ass face before he gets pummelled to his death by me..... "

He started punching the perfectly fine punching bag aggressively to vent his anger at something, and broke the fifth one too, like it was a piece of cake.

".... Just like this, he should get punched to death and should die such a horrible death. I wanna take out his eyes first and then, all his organs in slow motion, giving him the most excruciating death anyone has ever witnessed in the whole of fucking history. I just wanna-"

He was about to continue and move on the sixth punching bag, but I stopped him in time, in case he runs out of bags for teaching the young kids.

"Okay, that's enough Paul. You need to control yourself, and just wait for the good news from me. I promise I'll give him the exact same treatment you wish for, okay?"

I promised him, just like a mother promises her child, that she will do anything to see him happy.

In that moment, I was the elder one, because I wasn't more emotional than Paul. Life is just like that, and that's why I don't care too much about age differences in any relationship. Sometimes, you will become older even when you're the younger one, and vice versa. So, what's the reason to act all haughty about it?

We all become children at some point of time, for one or the other thing.

When he finally calmed down, he looked me in the eye and.... there were tears?

I was at a loss for words since I had never, and I mean, never seen tears in his eyes. He was my rock, one of the strongest people I knew. And I had never seen him break down as much as today. Maybe old age really does make a man weaker.

He held my shoulders with both of his iron-like hands and squeezed them tightly, as if he was in pain.

"My son, you have to take revenge. You have to do this right. It might seem like a huge pressure on you, but you know you have to do it. For the sake of your sanity, and for the sake of my loyalty,"

He stopped to take in a deep breath to wash down his tears before continuing,

"You have to kill him."

Overcome with emotion, I could only nod my head as I tried to keep my tears at bay. That sweet sixteen years old boy that I had been hiding inside of me since an eternity, was finally threatening to come out and become my biggest fear. I wanted to cry, scream, torture and kill people for no reason, and do all the worst things whenever that personality of mine came back. That weakness, that vulnerability shouldn't be a part of me anymore, but no matter what, I can't ever get rid of it. Maybe, it's because I haven't yet gotten the thing that my sixteen years old side wants - and has become hell bent on taking it.

"I will, Paul. I will. You have the keys to my office and club, make yourself comfortable."

And then, I proceeded to hug him, because I really needed it. We haven't shared a proper hug since forever, so tonight it felt so good to be comforted by someone like that. It gave me ten times more strength.

"What the hell lad? Why are you hugging me? You're gonna be covered in sweat from head to toe!!"

Paul exclaimed, kinda embarrassed from the hug. I laughed at that,

"So what? I too, have to get sweaty in a few hours, and I'm only taking a part of you to Amalfi Coast,"

I said, winking at him.

"Yeah, yeah, now go away already."

He said, shooting me away as if I was some kind of animal.

"Okay, I'm leaving. Bye Paul."

"Bye, good luck."

This was by far, the most thrilling experience of my life. I was angry, nervous, gloomy, nostalgic, revengeful, yet still longed for solace and love. Thinking about how your world can crash and crumble into thousands of pieces just by a chain reaction started by the mild pushing of someone, it was so easy to destroy someone's world, for which they worked hard day and night.

Why do we give the reins of something we build from scratch, good or bad, big or small, barely there or extravagant, in the hands of someone who doesn't even know about the pains and hardships we suffered each day to build this happiness for ourselves. How does someone who's a complete stranger to our love for each other, our duties towards each other and our commitment towards each other, become the master of it all and can snatch it all away from us whenever he pleases?

Isn't it unfair? That we can't be the owners of our own life, and have to assert our power through ruining someone else's comfort?

I think its unfortunate. And I'm going to tell this world why exactly do we need to let people take control of their own lives.

--------------------------------------------