30. First Date

The last time we met, it was along with Luca and Bria, but this time it was just the two of us. And that was making me anxious for some reason. All my life, I had never had an actual interest in a girl, or made any efforts to chase her. I met women purely for business or pleasure – sometimes both – but never wooed them. Maybe it was the lack of practice that had me sweating over a girl.

Whenever I thought of Sophia, I sensed something off. She was way too silent and detached for any human being to be able to do that. I do know, that this world is full of distinct kinds of humans, but an expressive man like me found it incredibly hard, and sometimes impossible to believe that a girl like Sophia could exist. Maybe she's been in her shell for so long, that she doesn't know what socializing is. Maybe Bria must have initiated their friendship because I don't see her doing anything but just sitting there and smiling the whole time – nervously.

She arrived five minutes late than the time that was decided. Her dress had changed from the last time, obviously, as she now donned a white long sleeved body fit. It clung to her in a delicate and elegant way – just the way she was – but there was something missing in her. I couldn't really pinpoint it, so I dropped all those negative thoughts and focused on what I came here to do.

"Hi, I'm a bit late today too. I'm sorry," She started off with a small smile. Even though it irked me when people weren't on time, I could see that she was trying really hard to impress me, so for once, I cut her some slack.

"Don't sweat over it, it hasn't been that long. Take a seat."

The awkward silence in the air was filled when I decided we should order first. Apparently, that discussion almost always successfully eases a couple, before they can get to more interesting topics. And it's not like I knew, it was all from Luca, who was apparently the best at this.

When the waiter arrived, Sophia ordered a smoked salmon drizzled with lime, parsley, garlic clove and olive oil for starters, whereas I ordered oysters and red shallots in red wine vinegar and tabasco. And of course, there was a bottle of premium red wine to go along with it.

"So, the last time we met, you didn't tell much about yourself. There was no time to ask such questions to each other, so let's do it now," I started off, feeling like an idiot once I realized how straightforward I was being.

I mean, it wasn't a punishment, and I really could have said it better, but what's done was done. Sophia too, didn't seem to feel too intimidated by it.

"Yeah, that's true. But, I really don't have a lot to talk about," She replied softly.

"That can't be true. Everyone has a life story, and I think that you just need to be comfortable to talk about it with someone you can trust. Although, if that person isn't me, I totally wouldn't mind it."

"No-no, that's not it. I just... I've never had anyone around to care to ask me something like this," She replied, her voice growing quiet in the end.

The pain in her voice was palpable, and I instantly felt remorseful for making her uncomfortable. She had the uncanny ability to make me pity her. Where my cold heart has never allowed anyone else other than a few close friends who have been with me for years, this woman has managed to do so in the last ten minutes. She seemed to be broken enough to read the pain in Bria's heart and empathize with her. I decided then and there to be as gentle as I can with her. She looked like she needed someone.

"I'm sorry for pushing you too much, I didn't know better. So, what's your recent hobby? Anything that gives you peace of mind?"

"Until a few months ago, it was drinking myself into oblivion. But now, I've had positive changes since I met Bria, she is a beam of light everyone needs in their life," She smiled subconsciously, causing me to sport a proud smile on my face. Bria was an inspiration to all those around her, so I could comprehend where her admiration was coming from.

"Recently, I've tried modeling, and have gone to a few shoots. I don't know if I should keep pursuing it, but it makes me happy, so for now, I think I'll do it."

"If you like doing it, you must be good at it too. So you should probably continue," I said, hoping to encourage her. It seemed like she had been robbed of her life and was trying hard to get it back on track, and I wanted to help her become alive again. Maybe that's why when she smiled at me and thanked me for supporting her, I got so much satisfaction from it.

It might have been the first time I did something good for a stranger, but it still felt so good. Sophia wasn't like other girls – she was soft spoken, shy, elegant and well-dressed – but she didn't have that passion for life which I often sought for in women. Nevertheless, she seemed to be a genuinely kind girl, and definitely affected me in some way.

And so, by the time the night ended and I asked her to become my girlfriend officially, it felt right. She was gradually charming me with her habits and character, and I only hoped I would always be able to protect her from the monsters I face.

I will have to, if I want to see a future with this girl.