13. The Last Flicker

(Bria's pov)

Pain.

Blinding pain was all I could feel as I tried to open my eyes. It felt as if someone had glued them to my face because a simple task such as opening my eyes also seemed like a hard chore. I couldn't comprehend the reason behind this unusual phenomena as my mind was still groggy, wandering in the lands of the unknown.

And then, as my mind gave permission to my eyes so that they could do their job, I saw a faint silhouette of someone, more possibly a man, looking over me, but his face was turned away from me.

'Man? Why was I with a random stranger? But, is he a random stranger?'

And then, after racking my brain for about a minute, it finally dawned on me. I was fucking knocked out while trying to fight the famous Italian mafia boss, aka, bastardo, as Tiger calls him.

But the more important detail to take note of was that he seemed to have protection and was trying to hurt my friend, Marco, who was all alone now. I don't know how long have I been out for, but by analyzing the situation, it hasn't been long. And if Marco had to rescue me and prevent Roberto's escape, he will have to reach the door, which was presently being blocked by his obnoxious men.

'How did they even enter? According to the plan, they were supposed to be stopped by Luca.....shit!!! He must have been attacked!! Oh God!'

I panicked. I couldn't have my brother dying on me. I would be left all alone in this whole wide world with no one to rely on. I don't know what exactly happened to him, but I do know that he must be badly hurt to not be able to carry his duties. And I wasn't also gonna back down so easily. So, what do I do?

While all the men were paying rapt attention to the still attentive man in front of them, I was blissfully ignored as a weak, fragile woman trying to act smart. All this while, I had my eyes closed in fear of someone finding out, but I opened my eyes by just a fraction, allowing my eyes to take note of their positions and whether or not they were paying attention to me.

I saw that they were still wrapped up in their plans to let their boss escape soundly, while the boss himself was keen on proving his mettle to Marco, and he, my friend was holding his ground bravely. In the meantime, I sensed Roberto coming closer to me to find out whether I was a weakness of his enemy, or just a play toy, and I knew this was my chance.

Marco wasn't as skilled as my brother or Tiger, and i knew he would panic. And so, before Roberto came any closer than he was previously, I quickly but silently slipped my hand inside my dress, to my thigh strap that still sported my favorite bejeweled dagger, its sharp edge whining for the delicious and exquisite taste of blood.

'I'm sorry that you will have to quench your thirst with extremely dirty blood tonight. This is the best I can offer you after almost half a year.'

I told my dagger inwardly, feeling sorry for its shine and worth, while I wrapped my hand tightly around it and waited patiently for the right moment.

(Tiger's pov)

I ordered one of my guys to open the basement door and let me inside after it was locked preventing other innocent people from entering our mess. My order was carried out after a little while and as I entered, I was flabbergasted to see the sight laid out in front of me.

It was just the thing I had feared, but hadn't really thought it over because I was over confident about myself, and not at all mindful of my enemy. It's not like I had been preparing to meet him all this while, and he must have sat there without any amelioration, waiting for my vengeance patiently.

I was so wrong in thinking that I had won a fucking jackpot by cornering from all sides, because the actual amount of men he carried around were enough to easily outnumber mine. They were valiant, still holding onto the battlefield of their boss, but I too, had some responsibility towards them.

And so, I jumped in to their rescue. Pulling my automatic gun from the breast pocket of my coat, I aimed it at the enemies and shot them down one by one. As they started dropping dead, everyone's eyes automatically flew towards the person who dared to intervene them. While my presence brought relief and courage to some, it also brought restlessness and anger to others as they now directed their weapons at me, wishing to finish the boss and take the holy credit upon their shoulders.

'As if you bastardi. Finishing me might need you to train hard for your next nine lives. And even then, it would just be a blind gamble.' I thought, smirking at them and stealthily telling my men to attack them through the earpiece as I distracted them towards me.

As my word spread, Roberto's men fell dead at my feet before they could even reach me. The few experts who still survived, couldn't draw the same luck with me as their opponent, and were met with the same fate as their colleagues, either beat by the butt of my gun, or shot straight between their eyes.

My expensive black suit was splattered by the ominous red liquid of many unworthy men fighting for the wrong cause, as I stood unbothered, only wanting to hear the news about the one whose blood mattered the most.

It was taking too long for Luca to tell me something, and so I called out for him in my earpiece.

"Luca? Where the fuck are you man? What happened?"

I shouted in his ear, knowing that I will be answered with an annoyed grunt first, followed my him grumbling his answer, pretending to actually be hurt from my shouting.

I was ready to roll my eyes at his predictable response, only to be rewarded with nothing from the other line. It was as if nobody had heard me from there. But it couldn't be possible. So, I called out for him once again, and then again, but still, no answer came.

It was as if he had disappeared completely from the face of the earth.

And in that moment, nothing mattered to me more than saving his life.

Not even Roberto mattered anymore.

--------------------------------------------