Five

My fingers rap against a table in the grill. Caroline sitting across from me, trying to ignoring the sounds of me taking out my nervousness. Days like today always make me edgy, but this worse. The impending responsibility of talking someone through a transformation, their first transformation. I've never done that, and I worry I won't be enough to help Tyler.

Caroline groans. "You're going to be fine. You've done this before."

I shake my head, my eyes scanning the grill. "Not this. I've never talked someone through their first transformation. I don't know how to that."

Caroline finally looks up at me. "You'll be ok. Tyler's ready for this, so are you."

"I'm worried about him Care," I mumble, my eyes falling on Tyler as he walks into the Grill, a bag slung over his shoulder containing the tools for tonight. "He's too calm, I don't think he's in his right mind." 

Caroline opens her mouth to counter me, but Tyler reaches the table and I stomp on her foot. Any doubt in his head can't be added to by my own. Tonight will be one he always remembers. And he needs a clear head as much as possible, clouded by only his own doubts and pretenses. 

"Hey," Tyler gives us a tight smile. 

"Hey," Caroline looks up at him, a frown falling on her face. "What's wrong?"

Tyler glances around the grill, leaning over the table before whispering to us, "This girl Mason knows stopped by the house. She said he never made it back to Florida." Caroline and I share a sideways look, guilt adding to the running emotions in my head. "My mom's freaking out and she was on the phone with your mom when I left." He pauses his shoulders slouching. "We should get going."

"Yeah," I nod. Caroline and I stand up, following him out of the grill. I send a look to Alaric as we pass by. He nods understanding, he heard our conversation.

~~~~~~~~~~
The ride to the woods in Caroline's car is tense. Caroline stops the car as close to the cellar as she can before stopping the car. Tyler and I get out, rounding to the back of her car. I grab one of the bags from Tyler, helping him gather all the supplies for tonight. 

Caroline turns around in the front seat to look at us. "Well, maybe he just, like, stopped to surf somewhere. You know, isn't that Mason's whole thing?"

Tyler shakes his head, "Maybe."

"I'm sure he's fine, Ty," I mutter trying to comfort for him. 

He glances at me shrugging, "This girl just seemed to think he would have called."

Caroline gives him a reassuring look, "I'm sure he ok."

"Yeah," Tyler grimaces, grabbing a bag and hauling it over his shoulder. "Anyway... let's do this." He nods his head, taking lead through the woods. Caroline sends me an anxious look which I return. We follow him in between the trees until we reach the familiar steps of the Lockwood Cellar. Tyler drops the bag in the middle of the room before looking to me. 

I nod, unzipping my own, grabbing chains, and handing them to him. We work quickly, setting the chains into bolts and tightening them as much as possible. I pull on them, attempting to test their weight, but we're stronger as Wolves and there is no telling how much strength Tyler will have tonight. We lay out chain after chain together, getting enough to hopefully hold him down, keeping him away from any living thing or vampire. 

Caroline watches us, analyzing our movements. "Tell me you brought the instruction manual."

I scoff jokingly, trying to relieve the tension. "I'm right here, Care."