Thirty-One

~~~~~~~~~~

"He was gloating," Elena glibs in her bedroom upstairs, "Like actual gloat. Like he was proud of himself for sleeping with Rebekah."

Caroline and I share an annoyed look. It's been twenty minutes since our initial banishment from Elena's room and the only thing we have been able to hear is Elena's complaints about Damon's fatal actions last night. The last thing I want to hear right now is a descriptive telling of Damon's activities in the sheets. I stare at the floor wishing Bonnie's privacy spell would actually work, saving me from my misery. 

It wasn't the best reaction to Elena's harsh words, but it was a very Damon reaction. He takes rejection hard, especially from her. Anyone looking can see that he's head over heels for her and her denial put him in a bad place. Knowing Damon, revenge was only his response and Rebekah would have been all too willing to follow through, her hatred for Elena is undeniable. 

Bonnie doesn't respond.

"Is it working?" Elena asks hotly, still worked up about her encounter with Damon.

He's had worse one-night stands. There have been girls that came from nowhere and didn't walk out with their lives. At least we know where Rebekah has been. Besides being an Original, Elena now has another reason to reciprocate Rebekah's hatred: rolling around in the sheets with Damon. After Damon's violent actions, which was another stab at both the Original family and Elena, the doppelganger has barely been able to focus on the spell she herself is pushing for. 

Though I didn't hear of the earth-shattering news until my arrival this morning, it seems to be the only thing that Elena could focus on today. It's the farthest thing in my mind. While Damon was happily letting out his anger with one Original sibling, another walked me home. 

Caroline glares at the ceiling with more ferocity the longer we stay down here. We're already tired of Bonnie's attempts to complete a privacy spell. It's been too many tries without any success. I wasn't any help and with neither of us having the actual spell for it, we're pulling at strings to even attempt it. I didn't think it was going to go well from the beginning, but as a favor for Elena, I kept my mouth shut.

Without a second thought, Caroline marches up the stairs. I sigh heavily and follow after her, not wanting to spend any more time listening through the walls. She pushes Elena's door open quickly, "It's not working."

I nod, standing next to Caroline in the doorframe, "We can hear every word you're saying about Damon, the vampire gigolo."

Bonnie shakes her head. She's crisscross apple sauce on Elena's bed with a tray of burnt sage in front of her, "I don't know. It's a tricky spell."

"When Esther did it, she kept the sage burning," Elena tries persistently, "There was a lot more smoke."

The witch shrugs meagerly. None of us are as interested in this spell as Elena is. She seems determined to have it at her fingertips. I can't figure out why this spell is so important to her. How many more secrets does she need to hide? Bonnie sighs in slight annoyance, "Alright, I'll try it again."

She lights the sage and waves it around in front of her with an unamused look. Elena shoots Caroline and me a look, sending us from the room.

"Speaking of Esther, you should know she came to see me and Abby this morning." Bonnie's voice comes muffled through the door as Caroline and I stomp down the stairs, listening for what should be the fading echoes of their voices. 

"And all this time, you let me vent about Damon?"

"I don't want you to worry," Bonnie says quietly and for a second I think it's working before Elena's voice comes louder.