Twelve

My fingers rap against the hardwood of the table. My mind anywhere but the Salvatore house. I'm reliving dreams and memories, trying to erase the likable Klaus from my head. The more I hate him now the better. My father's journal hasn't left my side, I'm too afraid they will read it and find what I have. And that cant happen. 

I bring my eyes back to Elena and Bonnie, at least trying to pretend that I am present in their world.

"So this place is all yours?" Bonnie asks. "They just gave it to you?"

Elena nods. "For now. As sole owner, I'm the only one who can invite a certain type of person in here, if you know what I mean."

"Your own personal safe house?" Bonnie asks.

"That's the idea," Elena agrees.

"Does that mean we can kick Damon out?" I mutter yawning, trying to distract myself from the war within the confines of my mind.

Elena chuckles. "Sure. You do it so he hates you and not me."

I nod. "Gladly." As of this morning, Damon has no recollection of last night. I didn't miss a memory again, this time I took the right one and I took all of it. He doesn't even remember being in my room last night. He hasn't questioned me either, no odd questions about how he doesn't remember getting to my room last night. He let it be. 

"Wouldn't wanna clean it," Bonnie mumbles. 

Bonnie and I wait for Elena to invite the Salvatores back in. We grab our bags, as well as Elena's as she comes back in. Now that we have our safehouse, we can come and go as needed without fear of Klaus getting in. And I might just be hiding in this house from the second he arrives to the second he leaves. I'm praying he doesn't find me here, that I can be kept a secret from him.

"Where are you going?" Stefan questions as I pass Elena her jacket.

She shrugs. "School."

Damon rejects the idea immediately. "No, no, no. We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it."

"Someone's possessive," I mutter. 

Stefan agrees with Damon. "Yeah, guys, Klaus is out there. We know that."

My stomach rolls at his name. The knowledge Katherine felt free to dish out rolling in my head. I guess I'm still secretly hoping that she and my father are wrong. I'm hoping that Klaus cannot be the person to which my body swore allegiance. It would be the worst possible scenario ever. And the guilt is killing me. I can't tell anyone because Klaus is trying to kill Elena. And Damon will kill me if he gets the wrong idea about Mates, which he already has in a stolen memory. But no matter how much I hope, I know my bond with Klaus is real and at some point, I will have to face it alone. 

So I carry this burden alone. 

"Right." Elena agrees. 

I shake my head. "But where? No one knows." 

Elena nods. "Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll be safe here, but I'm not going to be a prisoner. "

Stefan and Damon share sour looks. "Your way Elena," Damon grumbles.

"Don't worry," Bonnie assures the brothers. "I'm ready. If he shows his face, I can take him. I know how."

Elena smiles. "The way I see it, next to Bonnie is the safest place I can be." She looks at Bonnie and me gesturing to the door. "Come on."

Stefan scoffs. "Wait. I'm coming."

~~~~~~~~~~

The bell rings right as we walk into Alaric's class, ready for another classic history lecture. Sitting at our desks, Elena flashes us a sign about a decades dance tonight. Stefan and I shake our heads. A hard no. Bonnie however is a solid yes. Elena turns back to Stefan, a pout forming on her lips and I already know we'll be going to the dance tonight. I internally groan at the idea and praise the distraction.