Twenty-Four

The darkness surrounds me as I listen to Elena and Ric's feet hit the rocks in front of me. I watch the beam of their flashlight move across the walls as Ric leads us deeper into the Lockwood cellar. Mason came to save the day. Supposedly. Well, he came to save everyone else. He came bearing gifts on how to kill Klaus.

But my heart pounds at the idea, fearful that they will go through with it. I'm all too afraid that they will. My dad gave me permission to pursue something he hid from me. Something he stole from me when I was just a kid, for my own protection. But I'm not that same little girl anymore, I'm not the girl that hides behind her father's legs or the girl who cowers at her unique power of magic. 

I've grown. I'm a wolf now and I have control of my magic, now more than ever. I have fought more battles than any other eighteen-year-old has outside of this town. I can fight my own battles and I can make the right decisions. And with his blessing, happiness seems only closer now. But that means Klaus needs to be alive, it means that I need to give him the biggest leap of faith in my life and I don't know if he will catch me on the way down. But I have this ever resting hope in my chest that he will. It's like the bond knows it will happen. For some reason, I place my trust in that, that Klaus will give me what I need. 

He just needs the chance. 

"So the Lockwoods really have no idea that these tunnels are underneath their property?" Elena asks as we reach a cavern. 

Ric nods in the darkness, "Yeah. Careful where you shine that thing. Bats hate the light."

Elena stops short, a sheet of fear falls on her features. The girl can deal with vampires but not bats, it's laughable. I chuckle coming to a stop next to her, her eyebrows furrow in confusion, "Wait what?"

"Elena," Comes in a whisper.

We whip around. Elena's flashlight shines on Damon's face as he yells in an effort to scare us. We shriek together at the sudden noise. And I'm forced to take back my previous thoughts, I'd taken the bat over Damon scaring me any day. I frown at him, punching him in the chest as Elena reprimands him, "God, Damon."

"Scardey cats," Damon grins cooly, ready to make fun of us some more, but he doesn't get the chance.

"Just ignore him," Ric calls, "That's what I do."

I brush past Elena, following Ric further into the cavern. My eyes fall on the rock walls, painted with symbols in white. My mouth falls open at the site. Their attempts to explain it to me fall short in comparison. The walls are lined with white, different tiny unique drawings make up one intricate story only waiting to be discovered. The flashlight casts a beam across the walls as we take in the art together. It looks beautiful in a rugged sort of way. 

"What is all this?" Elena asks.

"Well as far as I can tell, it's a story. In simple archaeological terms, it's a really old story. That right there is the moon cycle. A man. A wolf..." As Ric talks, his light casts across the different symbols, identifying each of them for Elena and me.

"A werewolf," I murmur, correcting Alaric. I watch the symbol carefully, dragging back the memories Elijah shared with me about his family, Klaus's family.

Damon scoffs, "Yeah. It's the Lockwood diaries: Pictionary style."

"I don't understand," Elena turns back to Alaric, "I thought the Lockwoods came here with the original founders in the 1860s."

Ric drops his bag on the floor, "Ah, maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, the werewolves have been here a lot longer than that."

"How long?" I ask, my mind flying back to my adventures for my father's Pack. The ones that stay hidden from the rest of the world. The ones my parents and Mason have barred me from finding. Maybe this could be that Pack.